MagLight question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 12" Maglight that doesn't work anymore. i replaced the batteries and that didn't work. There was a replacement bulb with the flashlight and tried that too. Everything looks clean on the inside. what else can I check?

2. manfred

manfred Well-Known Member

Is this a trick question?

3. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

Use a voltage tester and check to see if the batteries are good.

Use the continuity tester to see if the battery/bulb circut is complete.

You may or may not be able to use the continuity tester to check the bulb, depending upon the bulb contacts.

4. Boss Cooker

Boss Cooker Well-Known Member

Toss it into the garbage and get a crank up led light. Saw one at Ace the other day. Kind of like Ronco "CRANK IT AND FORGET IT" $19.00 :banana02:

5. Sparticle

I'd rather not throw a heavy duty metal maglight flash light into the trash if there's something I can do to easily test/fix it. I also would rather not spend $20 if I can help it. I'll see if someone at work has a continuity tester. It's just such a nice flashlight.

6. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

I have always had good luck calling, writing or e-mailing the company that made it.
    As these are still made in the USA( as far as I know) I would contact them and ask for assistance.
    http://www.maglite.com/index.asp?m=skipflash
    I had a 5 cell "d" bat. mag lite, had a problem with finding a bulb, called customer service and they sent me two for free.

P.S. converted a Mini Mag to led's, batteries were in it so long the got corroded and I couldn't get it open. Really like the led bulbs, but do check the batteries

7. foxfire51

foxfire51 Active Member

I agree with the above poster, contact the company. I use these in my work and have found the company good about taking care of complaints or problems. OTOH, LED technology will soon make the regular incandescent Mag-lites a thing of the past. I also have and carry a much small, lighter LED light that is simply great. Good luck with the repairs.
    FF51

8. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

9. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

did you 'click the switch'? lol maybe it is bad.

10. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Id also wager its the switch. I had the same problem with one of my Mag's. Finally remembered i had an old one that got the crystal broken, changed out the crystals to get a working light and now the switch is acting up in that one. Thinking that's the only way to kill one. As i don't see a way to replace it.

Hum, isn't there a warranty on these here suckers? Betting it was a card you hard to fill out and send in though. :shrug:

11. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I posted this earlier today and it disappeared.

I left a 6 cell Maglite under the truck seat until the batteries corroded and it would not unscrew. I sent it back to Maglite with my return address and a few weeks later got a brand new 6 cell to replace it. That was 20 years ago but the light was 10 years old at the time.

12. Sparticle

the switch sounds fine. So, I'll try the other suggestions here. I wouldn't have thought to do any of the things you suggested. Thanks a million!