made your own mustard??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by gobug, Jan 19, 2005.

1. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I tried, no good.
    I let mustard go to seed in the garden.
    I gathered about a cup of seeds.
    I put the seeds in a clean coffee grinder.
    Added wine vinegar to some
    Cider vinegar to the rest.
    Yuck.

I have never heard of anyone making their own, but I bet one you have.
    How did you do it?

2. Isn't that made out of the flower pedals instead? Not sure but I have saved seeds to use in my venison summer sausage. It was much fresher tasteing then what You buy in the store.

3. Rod Torgeson

Rod Torgeson Well-Known Member

If you do a search on google "making your own mustard" including the quotes you will find some recipes. Hope this helps. Rod in Appleton, WA

4. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I have made my own mustards and they came out great. Course, I didn't grow the mustard and collect the seed and all that -- I just bought mustard seed and ground dry mustard and then followed some recipes in an old Bon Appetit magazine. There's really nothing to it, except, as with most cooking or food prep, it helps to have the proportions right. I made a spicy brown mustard which was really delicious on sandwiches and with sausage, but I can't find that magazine offhand...

One thing about making mustard, there are cooked ones and uncooked ones, and the cooking either makes them more spicy or less spicy, I forget which. I think it is the opposite of what you would expect -- mostly, when you cook stuff (onions for example), they get mellower. So I think mustard gets spicier.

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Where's Martha Stewart when you need her?

I saw a MS segment a few years ago where prepared mustard was made. It was really a pretty easy process, and using different ingredients you can make different flavored and textured mustards.

The Kansas wheat farmers fight "tansy mustard" in their fields. Feel free to come help yourself, although I don't know it can be used to make edible mustard.

6. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

I make a spicy brown mustard that is great on sandwiches, meats etc. But when you are making it the kids leave the house. The smell of vinegar, onions and mustard simmering chase them out :haha: I think it smells great though!
    Denise

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I have made small batches (8-16 ounces) of homemade mustard starting with seeds. Cooking it does make a nice spicy flavor-to me. There are many simple recipes but proportion is everything, as snoozy said. It doesn't take much vinegar and I think I added flour or something to thicken it. Can't put my finger on a recipe right this minute.

The plant is marvelous to grow as it comes in so many varieties. I grew a deep purple leaved version that gets lovely and tall and the insects love the tiny flowers. Of course, you can pick the younger greens for salad or cooked greens. A terrific plant.