Homesteading Forum banner
721 - 737 of 737 Posts

· Premium Member
23,766 Posts
Never used thinning shears; so have no idea. Might be worth a try though.
The hairdresser used to use thinning shears on my hair...

Sadly, these days it is no longer necessary. :(

· Premium Member
23,766 Posts
Pony, try some "Biotin".....
It's in my "real food" multivitamin. (4 capsules per serving. Ugh)

Or did you mean to apply it topically?

· Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #726 ·
Getting Biotin in your multivitamin should suffice. I take the supplement; and since taking it I've noticed a difference in the thinning of my hair.

· Registered
12,368 Posts
After taking Biotin for 3 years, It didn't do anything for me.

· Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #729 ·
Updating............

Finally it appears this terribly difficult summer is over. Yes it is still quite warm during mid-day but nights are quite cold.

Valentina still gets her brushing though not needed as it was during the summer. Cujo still gets his as well. Both dogs are obviously mature and have slowed down somewhat in their activities (Valentina now 8 yrs & Cujo 13 yrs). Cujo has lots of grey on him and his walking up the stairs is a bit labored; however, he is still backing Valentina up when there is a need to protect the place from perceived predators. Valentina continues her sporadic walks around the parameter fencing though they are not as frequent. (Their work here has paid off in that what might have ventured on this place for a meal has not even attempted to do so for quite awhile.)

Both dogs will venture into the house at times. Cujo has preferred to stay indoors more than usual; whereas Valentina continues to prefer the outdoors. It has become obvious Valentina no longer sees a need to check me out as she has been doing this past year; and I suspect it is because I changed my diet to one more fitting to the needs of my body than to the desire of my taste buds. Both dogs have maintained a weight between 80 > 90 lbs which is quite healthy for them and both dogs will eat their dry chow more readily....even though they both still prefer either cooked or raw fresh meat.

It is difficult to know these wonderful canines are getting old as the pain of a loved one's death is always difficult........and the other animals here always go thru a mourning period too. :(

Reactions: Pony

· Registered
12,368 Posts
Are you thinking of getting another puppy? As you well know, elder dogs teach the youngsters so much.

Reactions: Pony and altair

· Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #731 ·
Yes we have always kept at least 2 canines on our homestead. And one has always taken care of and taught the new arrival (as Cujo helped Valentina when she first arrived). Just have no idea as yet what type of dog to get this time.

Reactions: Pony

· Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #732 ·
.....updating...........feeling badly and elated at the same time ..........

Cujo needs surgery to take care of an elongated nipple that has swollen and at times even bleeds. This vet says he is not a good candidate for surgery at his age; yet I've found no way of tending to the situation. We placed some Neosporin on it for awhile with a type of bra but that caused some irritation around the nipple as it kept air away from the area. We have no idea as to what to do. He is still quite active with helping Valentina; yet it is obvious the nipple irritates him. I feel soooooooo much for him..............We actually decided to go ahead with the surgery because we want so badly to give him the best care possible for what time he has left with us. And should he die on the table, at least we tried! When I called the vet's office they tell me the doctor I favor is booked until March. March? So now we are only tending to Cujo's needs as best as we can until then; yet that is not really giving him much. :(

On the up side Valentina is still the alert canine she has always been. A few nights back she kept me up and down all night long. Yes all night long! I could not figure out what she kept barking about. The next day it became obvious, i.e. one of the two dead pine trees on our neighbor's property had fallen over the corner of our fencing and crushed the fence down in two places. (Now I understand why Valentina was constantly looking in that direction each time I would go outside to try and find out why she was barking.) She has started making sounds now when she is barking that I've never heard a dog make. I'm suspecting it is because she is quite frustrated with my not knowing what she is barking about and is actually making an attempt to mouth the words in order to tell me. LOL Nope! I wouldn't put anything past this canine! Maybe I should take her to a speech therapist! ROFL

Reactions: aart

· Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #733 ·
Well I "think" I've finally figured it out! Still not sure as cannot believe what I'm thinking...........

Several months now Valentina has been "mouthing" noises that only permits me to draw the conclusion she is trying to talk like we humans do. Now don't laugh! The other change has been when she stands at the back door and makes these noises. I have figured she was either telling us she wanted some food or in the house; however, when I open the door only Cujo comes in, goes straight into my bedroom and lays down on one of the "doggy" beds in there. Valentina does not come in. (When Cujo wants out again he will come to one of us to let us know; yet will not bark. In fact I've not heard Cujo bark...even outside...for a long time.) Valentina stays outside and is quiet.......... and I'm wondering if Valentina knows something about Cujo we don't, i.e. that maybe he can no longer bark??? (I've wondered for some time if he had a bone caught in his throat; but the vet has several times told me she saw nothing in there. No X-ray was ever taken.)

It appears now that Valentina has taken to talking for Cujo! Do dogs actually do such things?

· Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #735 ·
Updating ...

Well it has become obvious Valentina is depressed! With Cujo's having to be put down and my entrance into the hospital it has had an effect on her.

We did get a new puppy, i.e. Sasha a German Shephard now 5 months old; and she is both copying Valentina's efforts to guard this place as well as irritating Valentina by wanting to play and be near her "all" the time. My son has taken over the majority of this pup's training and I'm attempting to give Valentina more attention. It is obvious she is depressed and I'm not sure what else I can do.

· Read Only
8,182 Posts
Updating ...

Well it has become obvious Valentina is depressed! With Cujo's having to be put down and my entrance into the hospital it has had an effect on her.

We did get a new puppy, i.e. Sasha a German Shephard now 5 months old; and she is both copying Valentina's efforts to guard this place as well as irritating Valentina by wanting to play and be near her "all" the time. My son has taken over the majority of this pup's training and I'm attempting to give Valentina more attention. It is obvious she is depressed and I'm not sure what else I can do.
It's tough when they lose their partners. Rest in piece Cujo.

· Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #737 ·
Updating......

Things have certainly turned on this homestead. Suspect the death of Cujo and introduction of a new puppy were high contributors to this. All is good... just unexpected and a bit confusing.

Valentina is now 10 yrs old. She went thru what looked like a period of mourning and even some confusion as to what to do on this place. She has been wanting to spend more time indoors than usual; and though still alerted to what goes on here, does not seem to be that concerned about it. The only exception being when the possum showed up. Then she let the puppy do most of the work taking care of it, i.e. killing it. (Killing it twice because the first time it "played" dead!) So it looks like all that hard work of intimidating outsiders Valentina and Cujo did has paid off and now Valentina is retired...for the most part. ROFL Does that actually make sense??

Sasha is almost 8 months old now and showing a lot of potential in caring for all the animals (goats & fowl) albeit she is still unsure as to "how". She apparently is in touch with her prey drive yet is attempting to curve that herself because she keeps getting corrected when she gives too much of the wrong type of attention to the animals. (Most often this attention is in the form of "play" though she seems to think the goats should stay in the barn and not be permitted out of it.) And during these times Valentina just sits/lays and watches Sasha. The only time Valentina corrects Sasha is when this puppy gets too intrusive in her own personal space. At such times Valentina will bark, growl and "play" snap at Sasha...which Sasha seems to know is "not" threatening.

I'm thinking Valentina has "retired" and only stepping in when she thinks she is needed...when strangers come onto the place. (At these times she behaves as she has in the past, i.e. still acting as though she could easily bite!) Sasha on the other hand is still just a playful pup learning how to deal with her own internal drives while conforming to the rules of our home. (I'm wondering if we should bring in a 3rd canine to balance these two!)

721 - 737 of 737 Posts