Made it through the paper

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by WayneH, May 11, 2005.

1. WayneH

WayneH Active Member

Well, my queenless hive chewed through the newspaper in less than two days and have accepted the new queen. I was worried that the bees I moved with the queen would go back to the original nuc and leave the queen alone to die. That didn't happen, and now she's laying eggs like a machine!

Yeah for me!

Wayne

2. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Isn't the newspaper trick just grand? I has worked everytime for me.. Good luck with your hive. Debbie

3. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

My wife and kids are the bee keepers in the family, so I'm the casual observer.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the fields on the tractor when I noticed a nice round brown thing hanging above the hives, about 20' up. I got closer and realized it was a swarm... and started yelling for the "experts". They have been working in the hives just hours before, and had set a super on a couple of the hives.

We a wagon, set an excluder on it, empty super on top of that, and got a hive top feeder for a cap. Next we bent the tree branches down using a rope, and the whole mass sort of 'fell' into the empty super. amazing how none of us got stung - if I were a bee, I sure would have gone after one of those/us idiots messing with the swarm.

We put the feeder on top of the whole mess and then started looking for a quick solution. Turned out, one of the hives was queenless for a couple of weeks, so I got the idea, "why not try and put her in with that weak, queenless hive?"

Some of my ideas can be pretty stupid, dangerous or down right funny...

Out comes the newspaper, onto the weak hive and the super full of bees goes on that. A week goes by, the weather was terrible, so checking the hive wasn't so good. After a week an a half, the "couragous ones" don their gear and head down to the hives. I was busy getting the benedryl and ice into ziplocks.

After an hour or so, they come marching back up the hill, ear to ear grin, "It worked!!!" Unfortunately, the bees decided they didn't like the empty super and had started building comb in it. Not just the comb but some of it had brood in it too!

She got the hive all set up like a normal one again, this time with a couple of deeps, excluder and super, minus the feeder and the once weak hive is more active than ever! She said that queen is laying like crazy again.

The newspaper trick worked pretty good. And here I was all set to build us one of those bee vacuums (I still might). We did have a family discussion about having extra supers, and a couple of extra hives on stand-by for emergencies awhile back... now I guess were gonna be nailing and painting pretty soon!

4. WayneH

WayneH Active Member

I keep talking about getting extra supers and hive bodies. The problem is that when I get the "extras", I end up using them!

I have a table saw and the equipment to make hive boxes and such, but to be honest I'm terrified of the table saw! I have no problem with my new miter saw, a Sears chainsaw, or any other power tool, but the thought of using that 40 year old table saw with absolutely NO safety features and I get a cold clammy feeling. I decided to trust my instincts the last time it launched a piece of wood across my basement.

I could use a bee vac though.

Wayne