Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Defending the Highground
580 Posts
Isn't it the law that products have to state the country of orgin?
I don't know that it is required. When I was purchasing canned milk to make pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving, I looked all over the darned milk can and all I could find was "Distributed By..." Kind of ticked me off since most milk products come from China fortified with Melamine...:flame:

Thank you Wantabunch for posting this.

Edited To Add: OK...I just checked some barcodes on various products. Most labels have a "0" for the barcode, but the label only says "Distributed By." Some of the labels actually state the country of origin. On my Virgin Coconut Oil it clearly states that the product is from the Phillipines, but the barcode say "0." It is evident that a product can originate in another country and then if packaged in the USA, the barcode will show USA.

When I went to the website, http://www.food-info.net/uk/qa/qa-fp121.htm, it did state this. I'm so happy that "we" have such good food labeling laws...puleeeeeez!

RVcook

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks! Great info.

·
Defending the Highground
580 Posts
Umm, what about processed products with ingredients from multiple countries?
I went to another site and was reading that the barcoding numbers are issued to companies where their base of operation is. So if a US company like Nestle has its base of operations in the US, but buys products from China, the barcode will have a number from the US.

I would assume that would hold true when products from a variety of locations are combined to make one product...like frozen apple juice concentrate:

Old Orchard 100% Juice
Ingredients: Apple juice concentrate, filtered water (only sufficient to reconstitute apple juice concentrate), malic acid, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), contains concentrate from Argentina, Chile, China, Poland and USA.
Barcode: 0 75355 11241 8

The label does clearly state that the concentrates come from different countries, yet the barcode was issued to a US company.

Let's face it...unless you grow and produce EVERYTHING you eat, there is a 1 in 10 chance that it has come from a place outside the USA.

RVcook

G

·
there is a 1 in 10 chance that it has come from a place outside the USA.
Actually a greater chance than that. More than 20% of our food is grown in China.

That doesn't include food from other Asian countries, Europe, several countries in Africa, and central and south America.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts