Homesteading Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a thread on CF regarding economics and the effect of Chinese produced products in our marketplace. These threads always interest me, and at the risk of sounding like I'm OK with the over-abundance of foreign-supplied items in our marketplace (which I'm not).... How much of a premium would you each be willing to pay for products made entirely from raw materials derived in the US, and produced entirely with labor supplied by legal US citizens? none, 5, 10, 25%, 50%....?

L

·
0 Posts
I've been reading labels and researching products, and I'm *trying* to avoid products made in 3rd world countries (Europe, US, and Canada are ok), but with some things you don't have much choice because some things aren't made anywhere but China or other Asian countries.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I would be happy to pay 10% more but not as much as 25%.On the other hand,what is the health and safety of you and your loved ones worth?
I do what Ladycat does but it won't work when they remove country of origin labels.Wonder what the elite eat?

·
Registered
305 Posts
We need to have better methods of testing imports. Or at least better utilization of the methods/procedures we presently have. No need to penalize the imported stuff/fruits that are good. But, until that time....we need to be very careful & buy local as much as possible.

·
Namaste
1,528 Posts
For the last few years I have made an effort to buy US made products if they are quality, they aren't always. Then comes Canadian, European, Japanese in that order of preference. Our budget and lifestyle is one of voluntary simplicity so we don't buy much but I do want to make a statement with my $$'s. Therefore I boycott Walmart and any other similar business ( investing also is done to reflect our values). Usually it does cost 10-15% and maybe more to buy non-China made but then again I am also going for the best quality I can afford - buy once and keep it for a lifetime. But first I just ask myself if I really need it ;).

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I will pay 10 to 25% more on items that are made in the USA and are designed to last. I feel that spending more on quality at the beginning will allow me to save money and use less resources over time.

FYI Sorrento Cheese, Lucky Charms and Cheerios cereals are made right here in Western New York. I couldn't tell you where they get their ingredients from but their processing plants are here.

·
1 acre homesteaders
864 Posts
We are small local farmers and buy whatever we can from small local farmers and pay 2x retail for some foods, but get a lot higher quality and barter A LOT!!

We buy our clothes from LL Bean which is here in Maine, and is quality with a 100% return guarantee. I took my worn out jeans in just for a laugh and the guy gave me a store credit for the full amount of a new pair. Crazy, and I kind of feel bad, but they encourage the practice, oddly enough. They really stand by their product. We had a 10 year old backpack that the zippers went bad in(after 10 years, who'd of thunk it) and we got full credit for another.

As far as food goes, we always get extra thrown in free or discounts for buying from certain people often. I will pay more for quality, and I have a family of 5 making less than 20k annually, with business expenses factored in, more like 12k. Farming actually makes money, provides food, and gets us in touch with the community.

I don't believe there are any "essential" things that you can't get in USA. I don't need a new TV or VCR, I would like them, but don't need them. I have to think about that often when I think about how much more money I could make(which we take me away from home more) and decide to work more from home, raising veggies and meat to sell, all the while providing well balanced nutritious food for my family.

Just my 2 cents

Mark
mark

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
We also suffer from an over-abundance of imported goods, and many people here fear that Australia is slowly slipping back to 3rd world status.
How do you view the 'Land Down Under' in this respect?

N.B: Australia is a big island off the west coast of New Zealand.

·
Übernerd
502 Posts
We buy our clothes from LL Bean which is here in Maine, and is quality with a 100% return guarantee.
Bean is awesome. I've been getting my school backpacks there since I was a kid, and they stand the test of time. By the time they even start to wear out, they don't owe me a thing. And the best part of living near Freeport is being able to go to the LL Bean factory store.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Shinsan said:
We also suffer from an over-abundance of imported goods, and many people here fear that Australia is slowly slipping back to 3rd world status.

I don't view Australian products as 3rd world products. My DH once worked for a winery that harvests some of its grapes from Australian vineyards and they make very good wine. My concern with buying Australian products is that they must be shipped such a distance to reach us here in the U.S.. As wonderful as the products may be, that just strikes me as a waste of resources.

L

·
0 Posts
Shinsan said:

I consider Australia and New Zealand to both be safe for the moment. All but one of Australia's states have banned GMO's. They are both clean countries. I'm a little worried about NZ, though, because it's looking like they're going to embrace GMO's. Now I'll have to run and get an update on that, since it's been a few weeks since I last read about it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was watching CNN's Lou Dobbs the other night, the only show i watch on CNN because he gives th government hell about illegal aliens. Anyway they were talking about all the recalls that dwelt with Commie China. One former FDA man said the gouberment had two choice, one go over to china and fix their system or two increase the number of inspectors. Both will cost big money. Hell i think there is a third option. STOP trading with Communists China. :flame:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So out of 11 responses, only two people actually directly addressed the original question....

bill in oh said:
There is a thread on CF regarding economics and the effect of Chinese produced products in our marketplace. These threads always interest me, and at the risk of sounding like I'm OK with the over-abundance of foreign-supplied items in our marketplace (which I'm not).... How much of a premium would you each be willing to pay for products made entirely from raw materials derived in the US, and produced entirely with labor supplied by legal US citizens? none, 5, 10, 25%, 50%....?

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
bill in oh said:
I would pay upwards of 200% easily for a very high quality American made product with a good guarantee. I have most likely paid much more than that in percentage in the past. Since LL Bean was used as an example, I've got a pair of LL Bean Maine Hunting Boots that I purchased at the store in 1979 that I still wear. They will rebuild them if I desire and I'm sure even at 1979 prices I paid 400-500% more than I could buy knockoffs from Wal-Mart or even Bass Pro Shops or another discount store. My troy bilt tiller is another example, bought at a time when they were built by Americans and they offered a complete rebuild service. Unfortunately I was betrayed on that deal and it doesn't sit well to this day.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good example Beeman. Many American companies have over the decades been able to build exemplary reputations for products and service that rival that offered by any companies worldwide. Let's use the 200% figure. Paying $100 for boots that would carry a lifetime guarantee such as that (as opposed to a $50 'disposable' pair) represents a benefit that a savvy shopper would recognize as value for monies spent. The question now becomes.... would we be willing to spend $40,000 for a minivan that had a similar warranty?... or $1400 for a desktop computer that was guaranteed against motherboard failure, or $1200 for a refrigerator that was similarly guaranteed, or $3000 for a flat screen TV, or $800 for a decent microwave oven, or....

Let's see what other folks thoughts are about that...

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
In a word, Bill: Yes

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Ladycat, the Green and Clean lobby in N.Z. is fighting tooth and nail against any proposal to alter their GM Free status, as well they should.
There are some farmers in Australia who back the use of GM, particularly canola and cotton, but most are realising the long term implications. For example, GM corn from the U.S. is banned from the EU and Japan, so a large ammount gets flogged off to Australia for feedlot use, and this could in future jeopardise our meat export market.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
In 2005 The wife and I took a 8 day vacation in China. What I was able to learn was shocking.

90% of what I had been told about China by my own government IS UNTRUE. Go figure. Our government lieing to us.

Think about it. If they are making 50 cents a hour how are they buying the new Chevy and Ford cars we ship to them every day?

Nike was all over, they are all about buying the best there is. They also DO NOT live like we do. They do not waste money like we do. The just do not. They enjoy buying the best of the best. They ship us fake Rolexes and they buy the real ones.

A large pizza delivered to our room cost us 4 bucks delivered to our room. FROM A US COMPANY.

I was able to visit due to a county program we were getting ready to offer. I was also shocked to see that MANY of the factories we visited were much BETTER then ours. These were not sweat shops. They also had MANY AMERICANS working in them as managers.

These folks work hard for their money, but it is their money. They are not taxed. The company is taxed.

They work 10 hour shifts 5 days a week for a set rate. They get 5 "random" days a year. Days they can take off. Any more then this they pay back to the company. They may only make 12k a year in US money, but that is GREAT PAY to them.

Good pay to the point that they can afford a car, apartment, nice cloths and AMERICAN made products. Debt is NOT ALLOWED. The factories recruit from all over the world. They have waiting list for workers wanting the jobs.

China recruits workeres from The USA every day.

Now, it is not all nice. They do have some bad areas and jobs. Just to blame China for what WE WANT. That is kinda sad.

We also visited a great area were it was almost all Americans. These folks came to China to work. They live on only 25k a year USA, but live like they were earning 100k a year back at home. The only deal is NO DEBT allowed.

China is WAY better then I was ever told about. I have been to Egypt and Isrial and China tops them hands down for freedom and life style.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
I would be willing to pay probably 50%. The only reason I could not go higher is because I could not afford it. I buy local as much as possible and read labels. Speaking of labels; have you read the labels on products from LL Bean? I use to get their catalog and most of the items were imported so I stopped ordering anything from them. Please check on the labels and if I am incorrect please correct me. They still had a few things made in the US.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.