Made in China air compressor troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Alice In TX/MO, May 10, 2005.

1. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

We have an inexpensive 2.5 gal. air compressor (electric) that worked last fall and doesn't now. When plugged in and turned on, it runs momentarily, then stops as if it senses that the tank is pressured up. The motor smells hot. It will run, reluctantly, if you keep the pressure relief valve open.

Any suggestions?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Replace the pressure control switch with an American made one, ect, ect....China Mart ect.

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound good.

First determine if the problem is in the compressor / motor unit or the controls.

Fully Open the drain valve and see if the unit will run, if it gets hot or if the smell is there in a basically unloaded situation. Can even remove the regulator and see if the unit runs well fully unloaded. Almost sounds like something is binding or putting the motor under heavy load. Ensure the compressor has the proper oil and is at the right level. Ensure any belt drive or whatever is tracking properly, nothing mechanical is binding.

Once you determine the compressor / motor part of the unit functions normally, then see if the control pressure switch is switching On / Off at the proper set point, can jury rig a normal switch in its place and act like the control yourself by watching the guage. One way to test that the unit works correctly without replacing the pressure switch right off the bat.

Sounds to me like the compressor unit is not turning freely for some reason.

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Had the same problem with a sears compressor same size. I found out the extension cord was of insufficient size and the motor would heat up trying to get the right amount of electricity to run. Since I hooked the compressor to a socket without using any extension cord it runs fine, no smell and it operates as it should. If your is on an extension cord I would try this first