Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mama MacDonald
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to faze out of my mini's and keep only standards. I am really leaning toward nubians and toggenburgs. I have a nubian cross now I just LOVE but my fav goat so far was our Togg who died last May from eating some bad johnson grass. She was awesome and I really hope to find another one just like her. Anyway, selling off my few mini-manchas, and mini-alpines for only $50 each. I never worried about following through with their registrations anyway. What info should I give potential buyers? I am hoping to get a few Toggs or Nubians as soon as next month.

·
Registered
805 Posts
For $50 each, sell *as is*- testing at buyers expense only, picked up at your farm, no deliveries.

CL bloodwork testing is not worth the paper the results are printed on.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I can give you the principles I follow when I buy. Maybe that'll help you decide how to sell.

When I buy a goat, I look at the environment they came from. If it's clean, then I am going to assume the goat is clean and healthy. I look at how it's interacting with its current herd. I won't buy it if it's in a separate pen. It could be sick and the owner keeping it away from the stock he wants to keep, or it could have behavioral issues that warranted tighter security.

I don't buy registered animals as I don't find them to be a profitable endeavor on a working farm. A registered animal can get sick and die, or get mauled by coyotes the same as an unregistered one and doesn't earn you any more money.

I don't care to see any testing that's been done because it can't be trusted. If the owner has the testing paperwork at all, then it makes me happy because I know they are at least trying to keep healthy goats, but the paperwork alone is no guarantee of a healthy goat.

I don't buy show goats or goats that have been used in 4H or FFA. That goes for any livestock. The more an animal is moved around and put into contact with other animals, the more the risk of disease and parasite exposure. Why chance it for a blue ribbon unless you're a breeder making money off of the genetic lines of your livestock?

Finally, I don't buy goats that have been someone's "pet". They aren't going to meet my expectations and I'm not going to meet their's.

·
Registered
481 Posts
For $50 each, sell *as is*- testing at buyers expense only, picked up at your farm, no deliveries.

CL bloodwork testing is not worth the paper the results are printed on.
I can send you to some breeders who entire herds have been messed up, and some lemon law suits that would beg to differ.

Please let me know if I need to repost the accuracy of cl testing. It is highly effective when done properly.

Andrea

1 - 9 of 9 Posts