Homesteading Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember that puppy the other day that I got away from that woman who was neglecting him? Well the woman who said she wanted the pup changed her mind when the puppy messed in her house and tossed that puppy right out into the yard. She called me tonight and I went to pick up the puppy. The puppy was nearly frozen (its -5) and had burrowed into the snow. I think he has frost bite and needs to get to the vet. While I was there I resuced a cat too, who'd been outside. She's young and can't use her back legs, they are very painful.....outside as well.

I'm so mad I could cry. I don;t know how I will afford this but they need care more then the cell phone bill needs to be paid. Neither had ever had shots so of course before they get care the vet will insist on shots.....

I'm So angry.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Definately get animal control involved. Most vets, knowing the situation, should be willing to work with you. Some would even treat animals like this for free. Thank you for being willing to rescue the poor critters.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello Nickie, :)

And if I were you, I too would be mad. :mad: I also agree about calling the animal control officer, it wouldn`t hurt to also call your local police department. I know in some areas they are separate entities. I am not sure about where you live?

I would also contact your vet and let them know the situation. By filing an abuse case with the proper authorities, this person will be arrested and would possibly be made to pay restitution. Keep all records on the cares and wares for these two animals. Do you have a local ASPCA? If you do, try calling them as well. I believe they all have an emergency hot~line number. It`s nice to know angels still exist. ((Hugs)) Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Have a good evening.

Hugs,
Linda :)

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just feel so bad about the pup....i let this woman who I thought I trusted take him from that other bad home they have another dog, an older one what is well taken care of. I guess she really didn't want the pup after all. I should of just went ahead and kept him.... She claimed the cat wasn't hers, that it's a stray who she feeds but it's very friendly and fat and problebly about a year old. Unspayed, no shot history and she's in pain right now though we are making her as comfortable as possible in a quite room where the other critters can't desterb her. She wants to be sitting in my lap but I don't want her to move around so I'm keeping her in a small crate.

I'll get them to the vet asap in the morning. I've already left a messege with him. He's used to my "emergencies" so I know he'll make room in his schedual or come in.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
It breaks my heart to hear of stories like this. Bless you for taking in these two poor little helpless animals who may have been dead by morning. I think that some of God's greatest people are those whose hearts are touched by animals in need and take them in and care for them, regardless of money and space. You just know they need help "NOW". I use to have a lot of animals dumped off at my place but it's been about 3-4 years now since there's been any. A lot of stray male cats show up at my place constantly to feed with my cats. I never turn any away. Again, thank you for all you are doing.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I would be extremely angry too! Just so you know...unhealthy animals do not get vaccinated because it will not "take". Talk to your vet...tell him/her the situation and I think it will work out for you. Thank you for saving these poor babies!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thank you for being a good and caring person. You are an angel to those little fellows.:angel:
I personally hate people that are mean to animals. We are here as God's keeper of his animals. I hope there is an extra hot spot in hell just for people that abuse animals.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I'm not sure if all vets do this or not, but a wounded kitten came up to our place this summer and I did not want it around. I took it to the end of the street with a can of food but 2 days later it found it's way back. (I think it was drawn to the chickens; he hung out in their space the entire time he was here.)

I have a toddler and didn't want any possible kitty/baby issues so I scooped him up and took him to the vet and explained he had a spot on his side that was festered and I couldn't help him. They had my surrender him by signing a piece of paper and I left without having to pay or be responsible. They did tell me they would treat his injury and try to adopt him out. Maybe there's a place close to you that would do the same?

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now that the cat is more settled I could get a better look at her. She as starving for attention, so sweet, purring loud enough to bring the roof down. she let me man handle her and check out her hips and legs to see if there was any sores or wounds, her paws don't look frost bitten but they are dark paws so hard to tell. she let me stretch out her back legs and I did not feel any breaks of fractures though her hips felt a little funny, not quite normal, though not broken (I had a cat I had treated for broken hips years ago)
She can kinda sorta move around, but it's like she has little control of her back legs and she falls over because of that. She is eatting and drinking. Havent seen any stool yet.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Either one may not be healthy enough to get any shots right now. They should be healthy first. Thank you for taking them both into your home....there's a special place in heaven for you...

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Someone should wet that woman down and put her out in -5 degrees for a while. We filled the igloo doghouse full fo wheat straw for the stray cat to get a warm place out of the 12 degree weather here tonight. That is just cruel and senseless. She could have put the puppy in the bathroom or even the garage would have been better than out in the cold. I hope he and the kitty get better. I don't have much, but I can send a little something towards the vet bill. I have a $12.00 rebate check from the windshield wiper rebate that came in the mail today.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sancraft, thank you but we will figure it out. The cat is such a sweety this morning. She can get around somewhat ok in the little room I have her in right now but I suspect some kind of nerve damage. her legs work, they just don't quite do what she wants them to do. Stool was a little hard but not bloody or runny...may have to get a softener to help her if it remains hard. Very very very friendly young cat!!! The pup was quite lively all night pretty much.....of course my big baby girl Brandi didn't help...the both of them jsut wanted to play all night!!!

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Nickie... You are such a blessing to these little animals.... Thank you for being so kind....

It's just as cold here(-5.4* at this exact moment), and I brought my dog inside (well to the basement anyhow).... he's a husky/malamute mix.... although he's 14 years old...

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its so sweet, my Bradni girl who's usually too rough to be around small critters, like cats, is beeing SO SWEET to the kitty, as if she knows kitty needs to be handled gently. I've enver seen her behave like this at all! Brandi even herded her to where the water dish was and they were drinking together!

I'm so amazed....

Brandi has never tried to harm a cat (as in bite them) but she's to rough in play with them so I generally keep her and my cats apart. But she's not even being pushy with kitty, or barking at it. Which is a miricle in itself.

·
Registered
629 Posts
People like that woman make me ashamed to be part of the human race.
How could someone be so cruel? So-called human beings capacity for cruelty to animals and other humans never ceases to amaze me.
Please don't hesitate to call animal control/ There must be laws in your state against cruelty like that.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.