Mad cow

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by McFox, Dec 28, 2003.

1. McFox

McFox Member

It is an ill wind that blows no good! Grass feeders can get some new customers. More attention will be focused on the legal practice of butchering downer cows. I thought at one time when I took meat production in college no animal could be used that could not stand. A cow down from calving should not be eaten. How many people would suffer from the loss of a downer cow, not many. If they have that many the cattleman is doing something wrong. We should not panic,it will soon blow over and be back to normal. I am not finding less consumption of meat in my area. It prices do tumble it will be time to buy. If meat goes down in stores will be good time to fill freezor. We got through Alar, and cranberrys and will survive this also and may even profit from it. Sheep are now tagged for the Scrapy program and beef will soon be identified so that you will be able to trace a steak back to the farm of origin.

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

I doubt that the price of beef in the supermarkets will go down, If anything it will go UP since they will only have a select few to offer. Cattle prices dropped out of fear... Now would actually be a real good time to buy for future herds. Then when the prices go back up (the always do) then you will low priced investment with a high return :) If I could talk my hubby into it Id be happily buying up feeders. But that would mean hed have to stretch ALOT of fencing real quick... I feel real bad for my hay guy. He raises Jersey and sells them just before they drop. But like he said... You may have to hold some a bit longer but he can pick up really nice cows for his next rotation at a much lower price due to the scare. He keeps telling me I need to buy now before they go back up....

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The Canadian experience will be different than the US situation. We simply export more beef per capita than they do. Prices in stores here held mostly because grocery stores agreed amongst themselves not to drop the price! I would guess (looking from the outside in) that the US will have trade moving faster than we can especially if the DNA does source the cow to Canada. You may not have much of a large price drop at all and it may not last long. If you're a Canadian thinking about buying calves to fatten, you'd better have a lot of retail buyers lined up.