Mad Cow Wild Cousin found in NY

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Apr 2, 2005.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Here's the link:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7349409/

The Headline says:

"Chronic wasting disease found in N.Y. deer
    Disease does not pose public health risk, officials say"

AND YET!!! the article goes on to say:

"Scientists do not yet know how the disease is transmitted among animals."

eek:

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control advises consumers to avoid eating venison from any deer that might be infected with the disease as a safety precaution.

However, New York State Health Commissioner Antonia Novello said there were no cases of humans falling ill from eating suspect deer meat.

“We feel very comfortable saying there would be no public health risk to consuming venison,” she said."

How comforting!

2. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

3. nebula5

nebula5 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it necessarily makes any difference, but this wasn't a wild deer, it was a deer from a captive herd.

“We feel very comfortable saying there would be no public health risk to consuming venison,” she said."

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

That should make it easier to track. That means any deer that came from other locations to that farm or left that farm will have to be found. It's not a good time to be raising deer in NY or any other place that can be associated with that deer.

Meanwhile CWD has crossed the Mississippi and is slowly heading east in the wild herds. My gut feeling is that they're eventually going to discover cross species tranmissability possibly through an unknown vector. Tests are being conducted to determine if soil can act as a reservoir for the disease.

5. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

I have a mad cow wild cousin, but, she's kind of a black sheep more than a dear. :haha:

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I was reading and worrying about this a few years ago when we were in Colorado, because people are still hunting and eating the deer and elk, and the deer were very numerous in our little town, walking right through the goat pasture and garden.

7. athome in SD

athome in SD Well-Known Member

The cronic wasteing dis. has been affecting deer here in the Dakota's
    for a couple years now.
    Kind of bummer...dont know if we should risk eatting ANY deer or
    not. :waa:
    Although I had heard that last year it was only being found west
    river rather than east river where I live. Not really comforting though.
    Christina
    athome in South Dakota

8. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

The really upsetting part of the article was the conflicting comments from the so called "experts".

9. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

We have had CWD here in WI for a few years now. It affects about 1% of deer taken. When you shoot a deer, you can take to a DNR testing station. They will take the head (unless it is a nice buck you wanted to mount on the wall). In about 3 weeks you get the test results back.

The current theory is that it is passed by nose to nose contact. WI has banned deer feeders.

My personal thought is that it has always been there. When the deer numbers get real high, you see more of it. Natures way to thin the herds.

I still hunt. Get them tested. Enjoy the venison.