Mad cow disease in goats?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Meg Z, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

A person posted this on a group I'm on...this article is about a French goat with mad cow. Not good at all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4216431.stm

I'm guessing that it'll cause problems for us goat folks on down the road a ways.....

Meg

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Take the time to read through the links in the upper right. First time I have seen confirmation of my suspicion only some people are genetically dispoed to vCJD (roughly one-third of the population). Also indicates some may be vCJD carries, who do not get it themselves, but can pass it on to those genetically disposed to it. One method would be the reuse of surgical instruments since prions are not killed during common sterilization methods. Having to dispose of surgical instruments after every use would further increase health care costs. Also makes me wonder if some AIDS cases aren't really vCJD.

3. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

What I saw said the goat was slaughtered in 02 or 03 :no: That makes it suspect to me to many ways things could have been mixed or messed up!

4. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

I have a nasty suspicion federal manger-to-freezer monitoring of even backyard operations via tag or chip is on the not-to-distant horizon.
    Funny times we live in.