Machine for Spice\condiment blending ???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Oct 7, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............I'm trying to findout where I can locate a machine that would allow me to combine\mix say up to 6 ingredients mechanically with either a handcrank or with an electrical motor . This unit would have a row of glass containers that would hold up to 12 ounces each . Then you add the ingredients to each container and turn the crank and all the spices are combined in a central container . Ideally , the mixing ratio for each ingredient could be set on the machine . Does something like this exist, I feel sure it does ?? My interest in this issue is an Idea I have for selling and being able to mix spices to sell as I travel around the country in my trailer . They don't take up alot of room and are very light weight and the Mark$up is enough to make a profit.....I've done several Google searches but I can't find anything like I'm looking FOR , thanks...fordy... :eek: :)

2. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

How big of an operation are you talkin' about? Couldn't you "process? them in a food processor , measure them into a large container (plastic Trash can) , scoop them out with a 12 oz cup , and pour them thru a paper funnel into jars?
    You could even set up a jig where maybe a dozen funnels are set up in a row with bottles underneath.
    Not to get off topic too much , but I was thinking of selling a spice rub for BBQ that I've just about perfected , but was worried about all the regulations involved (USDA , etc.) Have you figured this part out? And have you found a source for the bottles that are cheaper than the ingredients?

3. dla

dla Well-Known Member

IMHO plastic bags are much cheaper than bottles. Put a nice card stock label at the top and go to town!
    Of course, bottles would give a better "image."
    Personally, I like "cheap."
    But I'm probably not the person you want to sell to.

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Jack has a point. It has got to be cheaper to grind each yourself and then create an assembly line, fill each funnel with the quantity of the ingredient, then seal.

Your local extension agent can hook you up with the foodsafe processing rules. Here you can rent an approved kitchen for a day (about $150 I think) where you can process till your heart's content. Makes the investment reasonable and then you can follow your state's labelling laws (that extension agent again).

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member