Ma has this way of sharing...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Clara Bell, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Clara Bell

Clara Bell Well-Known Member

...keeping my spirits up. Wanted to share here. Sometimes this homesteading is a hard drive, and little things like this shared are nice.

THE BEST COMEBACK LINE EVER!

Marine Corp's General Reinwald was interviewed on the
    radio the other day and you have to read his reply to the
    lady who interviewed him concerning guns and children.
    Regardless of how you feel about gun laws you gotta love
    this!!!!

This is one of the best comeback lines of all time. It is
    a portion of National Public Radio (NPR) interview
    between a female broadcaster and US Marine Corps General
    Reinwald who was sponsoring a Boy Scout Troop he brought
    to his military base.

FEMALE REPORTER: So, General Reinwald, what things are you
    going to teach these young boys while they're visiting
    your base?

GENERAL REINWALD: We're going to teach them climbing,
    canoeing, and shooting.

FEMALE REPORTER: Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible,
    isn't it?

GENERAL REINWALD: Not at all, they'll be properly
    supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE REPORTER: Don't you admit that this is a terribly
    dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL REINWALD: No we are very safety conscious and will
    be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even
    touch a firearm.

FEMALE REPORTER: But you're equipping them to become
    violent killers.

GENERAL REINWALD: Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a
    prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

The radio went silent and the interview ended.

You gotta love the Marines!

2. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

3. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

4. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

5. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't care if it is an urban legend..... I still thought that it was funny.
    Tana Mc

6. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Urban legend or not it still rocks :haha: :cool:

7. ak homesteader

ak homesteader Well-Known Member

8. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

Calling something like this an 'urban legend' is a bit of a stretch. Somebody deliberately sat down and invented it, passing it off as fact. That's what you call a 'lie.'

Nevertheless, it's pretty funny and insightful. Fortunately I haven't heard much of a peep about gun control out of either political party for the last 6 years or so. The consensus seems to be that we don't need any more of it. My kids are all going to learn to shoot safely by the age of 12 at the latest.

-Jack

9. MichelleB

MichelleB Well-Known Member

Quote: "Fortunately I haven't heard much of a peep about gun control out of either political party for the last 6 years or so. The consensus seems to be that we don't need any more of it. "

Wish that were true. A good forum for discussions on this subject is http://www.thehighroad.org.

Love the quote, real or not. When friends learn that I shoot, they freak out. I get everything from "you're more at risk of having your gun turned on you, or your gun hurting somebody you love, than it being used to protect you" to "Ha ha, next thing you know you'll be in the NRA" (at which point I whip out my card.)

There's so much misinformation out there about gun safety. I CAN'T WAIT for the next opportunity to use that line.

Teaching a child proper gun safety is good practice. It bothers me that my friend, who is here often with his child, won't allow me to teach the kid (age 8) the basics. Guns in my house are properly stowed, but what if the child was at another house where the gun wasn't? Education trumps ignorant curiosity, in my humble opinion.

Many of the same people who rant that we need sex ed in schools (and I agree it should be part of science courses) feel that teaching kids about gun safety will cause them to become gun-crazy whackos. Go figure.

:rolleyes:

10. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I remember something about Mr. "Where's the Pigeon?" Kerry voting for some gun control doo-doo a few years back, and here in the state of Ill-noise, home to Chicago (which, BTW, is a native-American word meaning "smells like rotten onions'), there are some people who REALLY need to get a clue.

Chicago is home to King Richie (who is really the mayor, but that doesn't stop him from acting like he owns da joynt and all the suburbs around it). Little Richie (oops!) King Richie seems to think that people don't kill people, guns do. Especially guns legally bought and properly handled. And there are a lot of like-minded inDUHviduals who agree with him.

I am sorry I ever got a FOID card. It's nobody's business whether or not I have a firearm.

Grrrrr... Makes me so mad, how absolutely stupid some people can be!

Pony!

11. Clara Bell

Clara Bell Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't check the "urban legend" status of this forward from Ma before I posted it here. The validation was not first and foremost when I recieved it.

It was just, "Okay Ma, what are you sending me now that you thought was so hilarious???" I just thought it was a tongue in cheek funny when I got to the end!

I usually check her forwards out, or she will send me a forward she receives and ask if I would check to see if its true before she forwards to her friends. I'm proud of my 73 year old Ma! She's even IMing now!!!

"BRB, gotta put the chickens up...." Can't even get her on the land line anymore. I know I'm not the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree wholeheartly with Michelle! I was shooting young. We weren't the Hatfields and McCoys, but a favorite Sunday afternoon was going down to the creek and target practicing. I give my kids the same freedom here. I was taught respect at a young age and have never forgotten. Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to guns.

And you know, you can become even more responsible with all this! Take recycling to a new level!!!!! Use the cans for targets before you take them to the recycling bin. A can shot full of holes is much easier to smash at the recycling center.

I guess I should join the NRA. I don't want my kids and grandkids to lose their rights to shoot Grandma's guns on her private farm.

This argument is so complex. I don't like thinking of some people with guns, anymore than I like thinking of some people with pit bulls or rottweillers. But I would not like the government being able to come in and take my pistol or shotgun. I have to protect my chickens and goats and dogs and cats!!!! And myself. And protect my right to enjoy the part of this that is an enjoyble sport.

12. dreadstalker

dreadstalker Well-Known Member

in my prior time spent running wild i talked to a lot of criminals and they were all for gun control.a lot safer for them to commit their crimes and acts of violence against a unarmed population.what better reason can a person think of to be against gun control.the second ammendment is the reset button for the constitution