Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
thegriffiths said:
The town is really a college town due to all the colleges around and I wouldnt call it rural at all. I would recommend looking at Bedford area for a good amount of land and more rural. Its about 30 min out from Lynchburg on 460.
This si true but Bedford has the highest property tax base of the whole area. I am assuming that is due the the closness of Smith Mountain Lake.
Alice in Virginia

G

·
CJ said:
Does the area get a lot of snow?:)

Not by Ozark standards. We get snow every year. Usually a couple of good blizzards and some ice storms. It stays cold up on the mountains and there is actually a ski resort in Nelson. It is true that we generally shut everything down when we get a 'big' snow. We don't have enough of it to invest in as many plows, etc. as states and towns up North do. And people here have no idea how to drive in the snow! Even if you have a totally snow-ready 4x4 it's best to stay off the roads because other people will be slipping all over the place and are likely to crash into you.

So basically the winters are pretty mild, but dotted with a couple of unexpected days off when schools shut down and nobody goes to work. It's kind of fun, really. Spring comes relatively early and we get a lot of indian summers. I can think of plenty of years when it briefly got over 60 degrees F in January.

-Jack_Cville

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Actually that sounds about the same weather wise as here, I'm all the way in southern mo, so while it does snow every year, it's minimal, everyone freaks out, and no one knows how to drive in it :) We're in zone 6, I'm guessing it's about the same climate there.

Well now! Now that I'm so excited, it probably won't happen! LOL

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
DH had his interview yesterday. He felt it went very well, but we won't know for a week or two. They lined up a realtor to take him around while he was out there. Of course, since we're only interested in country places, they didn't get much done in the allotted time; one farm hehe.

We aren't going to kill the realtor trying to find us a place until we have a job offer, but using the Lynchburg MLS, and doing a search on ALL the surrounding counties, (which is way further out than I want to be from his work) I plugged in a home on a minimum of 10 acres, took the price range all the way up to $250k, and came up with about 5 properties, only one of which looks even remotely doable.

Yikes! We could afford that, even up to $325k or so, but who the heck wants to? Am I missing something using the MLS? Surely there has to be some hobby farms in the area on 20 acres or so with a nice house for under $200k.

The realtor told Jim that he could find what we're looking for about 30 minutes south of Lynchburg, but I sure didn't find anything on the MLS indicating that. Plus, I really think we'll want to be north, near the mountains.

Ah well.... heaven forbid we have to become suburbanites again.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts