Lynchburg Virginia area?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CJ, Jul 19, 2004.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My hubby is flying out there in a few weeks for a job interview, it would include a relocation package. Can anyone tell me anything about the area?
    We're currently in the Missouri Ozarks, on 90 acres. I think our place is probably worth $200k or so. What could I expect comparatively?

I need hills, trees, privacy, low taxes, and freedom to have my critters, goats, sheep, bunnies, poultry, dogs... LOL

I could live with 10 acres minimum. Is that realistic in that area? Is it as pretty as the Ozarks?

2. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

I've only driven through the area on the way to my place in SW VA. What I've seen is pretty enough. Being east of the mountains it's a bit flatter than where I am and a bit warmer too. I'll ask my son for a better description when he comes home. He's done geological survey work in the area so he's pretty familiar with the topography. To look at prices of property go to Realtor.com and then choose VA and the area you are interested in. That's how I ended up where I am. I'm only guessing but I'd think $200,000 would get you pretty far in that area. Can't be much more expensive than where I am. I know there are memebers on this site that are closer so here's hoping they reply too.

Good luck,

PQ

3. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Just tried entering Lynchburg VA into Mamma.com...Lots of info for you there..tourism..chamber of commerce and more.

PQ

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Lynchburg Va. is pretty nice country. Thomas Jefferson had a second home near there called Poplar Forest, a wonderful octagon shaped house that is now being restored. Heres the website: http://www.poplarforest.org/index.html

When I was there a few years back, the city of Lynchburg had a program where they would sell you an old house for a dollar provided you would restore it and live there for 5 years. Sort of in town homesteading. Lynchburg itself is a bit seedy and the economy was not all it might be so i suspect land may be relatively cheap.
    And you arent far from Charlottesville which is easily one of the most beautiful
    college towns ever. Another design from the brilliant mind of Thomas Jefferson.

Schuyler VA the little town that was the inspiration for the Waltons is just down the road too.

You could sure move to worse parts of the country. :)

5. Hi,
    I live in Danville, Va about 30 miles south.
    Lynchburg is the "big city" to us.
    It's really not a big city as most would think.
    It is very similar to Danville and very nice place to live.
    The cost of living in these parts is dirt cheap in my opinion.
    200K will go very far in a nice land home package in the outer lying areas.
    I've only got 6 acres but enough for me.
    The nice thing about these cities is that you can live outside the city in the country and only drive 5-10 miles to work.
    The only drawback is most of this area is tobacco and textile and hence a high unemployment rate. It seems that this area of the south is the only people not on board with the economic recovery.
    Lynchburg has a good bit of things to do and if that isn't enough you can always drive over to Roanoke.
    All in all I like this area with a 1 hour drive west to the mountains and 3-4 hour drive east to many beaches. Good location for a diverse of vacation possibilities. We are also enough south to not get caught up in all of the Washington DC politics and such.

Hope ths helps,
    Robert

6. CJ

So it's not in the mountains? :( I gotta have hills, I can't stand flat land!

7. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Lynchburg VA is rolling hills all over, I remember cause that's where I learned to drive a stick shift car.... many years ago.

I remember the old south houses there, and the people were nice.
    There were neat little "antique" shops around the area.

Be aware, it's the home of Jerry Falwell and the Thomas Road Baptist church, and the Moral majority.

There are several small "towns" around there.

But the last time I drove thru the area, it was building up also.

You may want to go on UnitedCountry.com and see what's available in the area.

It is about a days drive from DC, and about 1/2 day north of NC,

I liked it there. At the time I was there my Hubby was station mananger of WLVA radio station.

AngieM2

8. lyteora

lyteora Well-Known Member

Yeah it is mountains/hills. I live right over the mountain in Lexington. I don't go to Lynchburg a lot so I can't give you a great deal of info but if you are interested in property try www.lynchburgmls.com (I think thats right) you should be able to get a feel for what you can get for your needs. Lexington (Rockbridge co.) is a beautiful area, I think a little expensive property wise, but others seem to think its good. You should defanatly be able to find what you are looking for. Good luck and welcome to the area.

9. CJ

Thanks for the link. I've alreayd poured through the local MLS there, realtor.com, and a number of individul realtor websites. It's hard to get a good feel without knowing the area. From what I can tell looking online, houses are about the same price, taxes just a tad higher, but land is about 3 or 4 times more expensive.

We'd probably be able to get a comparable home on 10-20 acres for the same price range, which is fine, we will always come home to the Ozarks when finished with the job.

But, it's really hard to search for real estate without knowing what the different surrounding areas are like. Oh well, now that I know we won't have to live in a shack if hubby takes the offer, I guess I'll worry about a home AFTER and IF he takes it, hehee.

10. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

Hello there!! Finally a topic I know about!! I live in Amherst county the next county over from Cambell, which is Lynchburg!! What do you want to know??

Yes it is hilly, after all it is called the Hill City! Depending on where in Lynchburg your hubbys job is will depend on which way you want to go. With 10 acres and privacy I dont think you will be wanting to stay in the city!! LOL If he is south east you can look in Appomatox and Rustburg. Appomatox is pretty higher cost in taxes and overall cost of living. Rustburg is better, actually relatively cheep. But it is flatter. To the South west is Bedford. Lots of land there, most of it hilly and beautiful views, but your land cost is going to be more AND the tax base is the highest around. There are lots farmettes available, and it is an easy comute. To the North is "beautiful Amherst County." Can you tell where I live??? LOL Anyway Amherst has the lowest taxes in the area, it is also right in the mountains. The further west you get the more mountains you get! We are having a new bypass put in that should be done beginning of 2005 and should make it an easy trip over to Lynchburg.

But I will say when you start getting into 10 acres and above you start getting pricey no matter where you look. Depending on the house you want. Amherst is VERY animal friendly, shoot I can fix you up with some goats!!!!
    Feel free to PM me I can send pics of our house so you can get an idea.
    Alice in Virginia

11. Hi!

We live in Franklin county, about an hour or so to the west......I have almost 12 acres, a barn, shop and house that went for right around $140K. Some of the area is pretty depressed farmland that will go cheap IF you don't have your heart set on a mcmansion and 4-board fence......the rest of it(Bedford county) is sky-high because of the lake. Nice people, nice country...rolling but please, you DON'T want the mountains. Straight up and down, for pete's sake. My neighbors all invite me to church but mind their own business the rest of the time, help me when I'm stuck....what more could you ask for?

lisa

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Isn't that where they make Jack Daniels?

13. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

i think thats tn.

14. Hills, trees, privacy and freedom to have critters are all things you can get here. Property taxes vary widely by county.

I live in Charlottesville, which is about an hour away from Lynchburg. This whole area is great. There's no place in the world I'd rather be than central Virginia. For $200k you can set yourself up just fine, but you won't get 90 acres. You could get maybe as much as 40 or 50 acres if we are talking about a very modest home on it.

I don't know how far out of Lynchburg you are looking to commute, but Nelson County is some of the nicest country in the world. Nelson County in the first week of May rivals the South of France for sheer beauty. I'm looking for land there myself. I've got a friend there who is a winegrower and he tells me that the whole county is very farmer-friendly. They are pretty well organized to keep out big developers and stay rural.

-Jack_Cville

15. CJ

Well, I don't want to live up IN the mountains, but maybe in the foothills, at least as hilly as the Ozarks. I love hills, we raise sheep and goats, they do great on that kind of land. I also love the privacy that hills afford. We live in a valley now, which I love.

Our house here is modest, it's about 1600 or 1700 square feet, so not big at all, not fancy, but nice, and just a few years old. I don't care if the house is 100 years old or brand new, as long as it's immaculate. I don't do gross, would rather live in a tent than a gross house.

I'd like my hubby not to have to drive for more than 30 minutes to get to work, but I'm not sure where in Lynchburg Framatone (I have no clue if I spelled that right, might even be Pramatone, LOL) is.

So maybe either Amherst or Nelson county. Amherst is the area that looks most promisng on a topo map, but that's so hard to tell by.

What are the building codes like in Amherst county? Do you have to get building permits and all that junk? We're so spoiled in the Ozarks, you just do whatever.

And of course... how does one go about moving livestock? I've never done that, just thinking about trying to have facilities ready to go there gives me nightmares, LOL

16. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

I have to second this!! Jack is absolutely correct.
    I live in the Shenandoah Valley (just over the mountain from Nelson Co) so I'm a little bit partial to the valley but for small (I mean tiny!) towns, friendly folks and beautiful land, Nelson comes in a close second!! Depending on where the job turns out to be........you may want to consider Nelson Co. It may be a bit of a commute (especially in the winter) but it would be worth it.

Also, I'd like to point out that what we call mountains here in VA are what folks in the western part of the country would call "hills".

Best of luck to you.

17. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

BTW,
    This won't help you with info regarding the land around Lynchburg, but I always thought it was a wonderful little legend. Just wanted to share: :)

Nellysford is a beautiful little place in Nelson Co. VA.
    Here is the Legend of How Nellysford got it's name-
    The Legend of Nellysford:

"The story is told that at the time of the early settlers, the Rockfish Valley was a barren, rocky wasteland, barely able to sustain the crops of the few homesteaders who inhabited the valley floor. But in the early nineteenth century, a baby girl was born to a struggling frontier family. They named her Nelly, and by her eighteenth birthday she had flowered into the most beautiful and desirable young woman in all of Virginia.

With an inner beauty as captivating as her physical charms, Nelly drew the adoration of suitors throughout the Piedmont. One - a dashing and wealthy young man from Charlottesville - captured her heart, and he would ride for hours each Sunday to come courting. Theirs was a magical love, and with the blessings of their families they became engaged in the spring and were to marry in the autumn.

One midsummer’s eve, by the light of a full moon, Nelly and her beau raced giddily on horseback to the southern end of the Valley for a lovers’ rendezvous. Nearing the river, Nelly and her steed sprang into the lead, her laughter ringing off the rock cliffs of the Blue Ridge mountains above. But as her horse entered the ford in the river at full gallop, his hoof was ensnared by the root of a locust tree and he stumbled, hurling Nelly over his neck and into the swiftly flowing water. She struck her head upon a rock, rendering her unconscious, and by the time her horrified lover reached her, all he could do was to clutch her to his breast and watch helplessly as her life ebbed away.

But as she took her dying breath - by some miracle that no mortal could conceive - Nelly opened her eyes, gazed lovingly into his, and smiled. And the exquisite beauty of that smile flowed from her body into the river, and from the river throughout the valley, nourishing the barren landscape and filling it with her undying love. And that is how this little valley became the most beautiful in all of Virginia, and how our tiny village beside the ford in the river got its name."

18. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

Framatone, you are right. As I understand it there are actually 5 Framatone sites. Mostly in South to Mid Lynchburg. One on Mill Ridge Road, 2 on Old Forest, one on Graves Mill and the main site on Mt Athos. Nelson county would be at least a 45 to hour commute. Amherst is closer in to Lynchburg but you still have to go through Madison Hieghts and that is where the traffic pile up is.

If he is going to the Mt Athos site once the bypass is in place it will dump out right there and will take all the traffic away. But until then.........

Rustburg, Hurt, Appomatox, Evington, are good places to start looking. They are not as hilly as Amherst, but would cut down on the commute. They are also not a low in taxes, but not THAT far off. They have been raising Amherst taxes every year!!! LOL

Buiding permits, oh yeah. In fact I am on the Board of Zoning Appeals and Virginia Supreme Court has just tighten up all the rules. What a pain.

Moving livestock, I would use a livestock trailer. Depending on how many animals you have.

Alice in Virginia

19. CJ

I looked up the Framatome website corporate offices, which are listed on Old Forest rd., so I'm guessing that's the location, it's just northwest of Lynchberg city limits.

That's a wonderful piece of folklore, I'll have to look up Nellysford.

Does the area get a lot of snow?

As for moving the critters, hehe I know to move them in a livestock trailer, and yes we have one, what I meant was actually doing it... stopping and feeding them in route, etc, having facilities ready for them on arrival, wow that seems like it could be tough!

Anyway it sounds like ya'll really like the area, so that's a relief. I guess I should wait and find out if we're moving before I get all excited :)

20. thegriffiths

thegriffiths Well-Known Member

Well I myself lived in Lynchburg for about 4 years. Went to Liberty University where I met my wife and fell in love...and now travel there at least 6 times a year to visit her family that moved there from Colorado.

The town is really a college town due to all the colleges around and I wouldnt call it rural at all. I would recommend looking at Bedford area for a good amount of land and more rural. Its about 30 min out from Lynchburg on 460.

As for hills...yes its hills if you live in Va or the south...but its very small hills. We currently live in WV where I grew up on 38 acres of true hill country. It does get a bit more hill-like on the Blue Ridge parkway and more north.

My only warnings about Lynchburg are all the college students, the poor driving habits of some residents (they stop when the are entering the interstate instead of merging!), and the rain that is almost always going horizontal instead of falling. (as for snow...lots of ice storms and when it snows a small amnt they shut the place down but they have had some good snowstorms in the last few years.)

No I am not flaming Lynchburg and Va...I truly loved being there. I just want you to know those 3 things that are definitely outweighed by all the hundreds of good things there.

Hope that helps.

Matthew G