Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago my DH was diagnosed with lymes. A couple of days ago my DH received a phone call from the Dept of Health. She recommended we go to the CDC website and get info on lymes. OK, I can deal with that.

Then he said she recommended we put his "outside" clothes in a garbage back with 100% deet and let them sit for a 2-3 days. And then he is supposed to wear them......without washing. "It has proven effective on keeping ticks off of people." My concern is what it does to my husband!

Need lots of thoughts on this one.

Chris in Pa

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Oh my never heard of that before.. sounds very strange to me.. I would be more concerned then about what the Deet could do to your husband. I would check that out a little more, sounds crazy to me.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Usually the first step is a course of antibiotics! pls get him medical help! He has already caught Lymes' from one tick; deet is not the answer now. True, he doesn't want to get re-infected, but this is not the way! Best regards, ldc

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is on his antibiotics. The doc had to report his case to the Dept. of Health. These were their suggestions - To read about lymes and to put his outdoor clothes in a plastic back for three days with 100% deet.

Now I would have understood if she would have said, "spray the outside of his clothing with 100% deet before he goes outside". But I don't understand why I should spray his clothing and seal them in a bag for three days and then have him wear them. The chemical would be on the skin side of his clothing so he would absorb it when he sweats! At least that what I think. She even made a point of telling him not to put the deet on his neck or face.

Chris in PA

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Hmm weird, maybe she meant put the clothing that he was wearing at the time in a bag alone to kill the tick? I don't know but i would get a second opinion on that one..
can you look it up on the internet maybe google it?

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Chris, why not call the doctor back and ask him those questions... your concerns seem very valid.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
A friend of my DW was told a few years ago she had MS -- treatment didn't help and she recently was feeling worse. She went to a new doctor to find out she never really had MS as all but it is Lyme Disease. They are treating it and already she is feeling better. She has been walking using a cane but is starting to feel strong enough she may be able to stop using it soon. I would think that if you just washed his clothes the little bugger would be drowned and that would be that.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Her whole point with the clothes thing was to keep him from being re-infected by another tick.... So, she really intended for him to wear clothes that have been closed up in a plastic bag for 2-3 days.

Can you imagine working outside on a Saturday, washing your clothes on Monday, putting them "away in a plastic back" until Wednesday and not being able to wear them again until Wednesday night or Thursday! How many pairs of work jeans and other "outside clothing" does she think he has? He has an office job during the week. He works a bit outside ever evening and all day Saturday. He will do some light work on Sunday but not much.

And in the summer heat, to have all those chemicals basically on his skin - Yuck. I will just spray the lower legs of his jeans heavily and his t-shirt lightly.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,480 Posts
I spray my work clothes each morning. One thing that has helped the most is using a mixture of my favorite hand lotion and wettable sulfur. About 2 tsp sulfur for 1/4 cup hand lotion. Yeah, it smells a bit weird, but I put it on my ankles, spray socks, boots, and jeans with OFF and away I go. Haven't had a tick lately.

One board member suggested mixing the sulfur with baby powder, about half and half, and dusting with that before going out into the yard or woods.

I can *NOT* use DEET on my skin. Makes me sick to my stomach.

·
Thechickenladyxx
300 Posts
i have lymes, my daughter has chronic lymes, my dad has lymes, my mom had lymes (she died last year).

if treated right away the effects are minimal. it picks a weak organ and causes havoc. my case was the thyroid, my dad lymph nodes, my mom her heart. my daughter, nothing as yet, shes only 14.

we still dont spray our clothes with deet. tuck the pants into the socks, wear long sleeved shirts. and cover up. ticks are attracted to white. when i worked for the fish and wildlife, we dragged a white sheet over the area befor we worked, and collected all the ticks before we went out. check for ticks every day. but dont poison yourself to prevent a re enactment. hes on the antibiotic, it will protect him for now.

do regular tests, keep the treatments up. provention, no poisoning.

side note: i had a patient years ago, he had ms, and was coming in to die. i read an article on lymes and told the dr. and we had him tested (this was when lymes was new). he walked out of the hospital!!!!!!!!!! knowledge is a good thing.

jesse

1 - 10 of 10 Posts