Lyme disease?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by steff bugielski, Jun 16, 2006.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anything about Lyme disease. Dh has been complaining about muscle pain in his arms. About two weeks ago he had the chills and a fever for about 3 days. I thiought nothing of it. Now his arms hurt. He had lost the power streeing on his truck and I thought that was why but it's fixed and two weeks later his arms still hurt.
    Now it seems his neck and forearms hurt as well.
    I did force him to the doctors on Tues. Doc thought it might be a pulled muscle, like Mike doesn't know how a pulled muscle feels. It seems he gets wiped out easy also. We do have lots of tall grass around and it has been a very wet spring. The doctor did take blood but results will take a week. Just wondering if anyone had this before.
    Thanks
    Steff

2. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

My BIL was just diagnosed with Lyme Disease a month or so back. He had a fever of 101-104 for 7 solid days and could barely get out of bed. The Lyme titers took about a week but they started treating him for Lyme before they even got the results back.

I don't know what the long term effects might be for him but Have a friend with a dog with lyme. When it is acting up the dog doesn't like to be touched and seems very sore and tired.

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

my brother is at the doctor now getting his results...expected to be positive. he had similar symptoms. we both went mushroom hunting and were tick bitten. a month later, he got light headed and mildly disoriented or had a loss of concentration at work. a month after that, another bug bite set off the bullseye reaction and two days later he had muscle and joint pain.

4. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

My neighbor had it last year. He did get the "bulls eye" rash they talk about, but some people don't.

He should be tested for it. If your doctor won't do it, maybe your local ER would?

5. whitewolf

whitewolf Well-Known Member

Get him tested. They say it can lead to alot serious illnesses. Hubby and I both got it last year. (We live in tick heaven or h-ll, depending if you are a tick or not). He didn't get the bullseye rash, but I did. It makes you feel awful. We took strong rounds of antibotics and everything seems to have turned out fine. So far, so good.

Whitewolf

6. MELOC

beware of areas with a large deer population. my brother and i were hunting mushrooms on a farm adjacent to the gettysburg battlefield. that place has thousands and thousands of tourists. it is also over-populated with deer as the fed government will allow no hunting on federal park lands. they would rather hire snipers to kill the deer at night every few years than to allow a constant kill every year. when there is an over-population of deer there will be an over-population of deer ticks and the lyme disease that goes with it.

7. Maria

Maria Well-Known Member

My husband had a "Lyme-like" illness a couple of years ago. Apparently there are areas of the US, where the Lyme is slightly different, and doesn't show up on the antibody tests. We had a good doc, though, and they put him through the antibiotic regimen anyway, even though the tests were negative. It took 3 months before he started to get better, and he still has relapses once in a while.

Pseudo-Lyme is just as awful as "real" Lyme. Just because you don't test positive, doesn't mean you don't have it.

8. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

Did your dr. put him on antibiotics? My daughter had a tick bite several weeks ago, and it began getting red and infected in a few days. Basically, it takes at least three weeks for the disease to show in your blood (it can take longer), but the sooner you begin taking antibiotics the less you will have to take. Since the bite was definitely infected (and I had cleaned the bite with hydrogen peroxide after removing the tick and the tick was still walking around with it's head after I pulled it out - and the tick was very small - much less than a pin head) our Dr. started her on antibiotics immediately for 10 days. He said he couldn't test for three weeks, it would then take a week to test the blood, so we wouldn't know for a month. By taking the antibiotics immediately we would prevent it from becoming a problem. Also, by taking the antibiotics immediately, there is no way we will ever know if it was lyme, rocky mountain spotted fever, or something else that caused the infection.
    Dawn

9. MELOC

my brother tested positive. he is apparently a level 1 or 2 out of 6 ??? the prognosis is good.

if i had the means i would have myself tested as i had a large red rash for several days on a bite that i was not sure was a tick or what. i had ticks that day too as well as poison oak and various blood sucker bites. the red mark never made a bullseye but did get about 2.5 inches big.

i would like to add that my bro told me one doctor he originally saw said another insect bite could trigger lyme disease bullseye from a recent tick bite but his current doctor said that is not the case. i was only reporting what i was told.

10. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

I hope you and your brother, and everyone else who's had bad reactions from tick or any other bug are all going to be fine. Knowing that ... can you let us know if you actually found any mushrooms? I've heard a batch of morels are worth the risks in gathering them.

Hugs
    marlene

11. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say that my BIL did not have any sort of rash so it is very possible to have lyme's without the rash.

12. MELOC

we hunted them back in april and may. over the course of about 6 trips, i found 3-4 gallons at least.

13. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I was right he got the results today. Positive for Lyme. He is on 3 weeks of anti-biotics. It's good to know that it is something, to just be in pain and not able to lift more than a glass was rediculous. Well at least i won't have to trade him in for a newer model.
    Steff

14. Tonya

Tonya Guest

Get it treated NOW. My SIL messed around with it for months before she switched dr.'s. Her primary doc said she just has 'flu like symptoms' and told her to get therapy. She's a nurse and got another dr. who diagnosed the Lymes. Unfortunately for my SIL it was rather progressed and she had to have a central line put in so she could get 64 days of intervenous IV antibiotics. They say that she's a great candidate for arthritis later in life and some other masty problems.

15. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I think I had it a few years ago. I had the bulls eye, but the test came back neg. Doc gave me the antibiotics anyway since the bulls eye was there. I didn't have any symptoms.

If I ever get another bulls eye, I'll go for the antibiotics and forget the test. Test cost over $80. Meds was $8.00. That makes a big difference when a person doesn't have insurance.

16. MELOC

my sister and i have been worried about my bro. he is taking antibiotics right now as he was diagnosed last week. she told me what he is taking is commonly used in veterinary medicine. she has 20 years as a vet assistant.

17. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Some meds for people are also used for animals. My son had a prescription that was going to cost him $85 to fill. He didn't have the money and his girlfriend works at the pharmacy. She told him he could buy some fish meds off the shelf, same stuff only double the dose. Cost him $6 instead of $85 to fill the prescription!

We all teased him for taking fish meds! LOL

18. MELOC

fish meds..fish meds..rolly polly fish meds...fish meds...fish meds...eat them up YUM!

i'm sorry, it's getting late. :)

19. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

The lady I bought Kinder goats from two years ago had been diagnosed with Lyme's about three years before that. They said she'd probably had it for as long as ten years before it was diagnosed (I guess based on the amount of damage done). In the three years between diagnosis and when I met her, she'd had (I think) both hips and both knees replaced, due to the Lyme's. I've heard of all kinds of other damage it can cause. It is nothing to play around with -- if you think you may have it, get tested and get the meds, even if you have to make payments to your doctor.

Kathleen