Lye Soap and Worms

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Karen, May 31, 2004.

1. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

I was reading in an Amish book that they washed dishes with lye soap and then feed the dishwater to the pigs once a week. This was suppose to prevent worms. Any truth to this theory?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was a kid my mother dumped the dishwater in a five gallon bucket on the back porch. Also any peelings or kitchen garbage that the cats and dog wouldn't eat went in the bucket. She didn't use lye soap to wash dishes. Whenever my stepdad thought the hogs needed wormed, he would put two teaspoons full of lye in the slop bucket and give it to them. There were usually over twenty head to slurp up the five gallon. They would drink water like crazy for a couple days, but the worms would come out in their manure.
    To much lye could put you out of the hog business. I'd opt for a boughten wormer.

3. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

No Lye, No Soap (no lie!)

4. Diatomaceous Earth is a safe natural, organic wormer if that is what you are looking for. It also cuts down the fly population, when it is fed on a regular basis. About a teaspoon a day during fly season. Just sprinkle it on the feed.

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Some old timers use to give their hogs wood ashes for worming. Ashes, when combined with moisture, would produce a mild lye.

Ken S. in WC TN

6. ohio_kid

ohio_kid Well-Known Member

My grandma gave her hogs a handfull of coal about once a month. I've done the same and it works.