Lusenet: Original Countryside Forum

Discussion in 'Archives' started by AngieM2, Jan 11, 2011.

1. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

2. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I remember this! I ran across that site just the other day. Wasn't this "moderated" by Belangers? Sure enough, there I am back in 2002 asking questions about cooking on a woodstove. I thought the forum went back more than 9 years. :shrug:

3. calliemoonbeam

calliemoonbeam Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm the one that found that a few weeks ago, lol. It was the oldest I could find...apparently all the older stuff has been obliterated, sorry. I would have loved to see the oldest too! :)

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Don't know exactly when I first posted on Countryside but know that it was Feb '99 when brother proclaimed that our shop was now connected to the Internet via AOL. There were two magazines sitting on the desk, Organic Gardening and Countryside. I'm not certain which of the two were the first to be typed into the computer but we were on the net! OG was first love due to gardening. CS was off and on since there were no specific topics. After a week or two, moderator would sort out the threads and place them under separate topics. Visits were only long enough to see if a thread title were interesting enough to warrant more reading. Last month of CS is vividly remembered as chaos seemed to run rampant with certainty that Chuck was going to turn this into a religious forum. If I am correct, my last post on CS was a plea to give the new guy a chance to prove that the new forum was going to be what we all wanted. Then sat back and waited for whatever was going to be set up and registration to begin. I felt that I wanted to be a part of it. I'm forever member #47. Would been lower but had to make a pot of coffee, read the newspaper, and do the crossword puzzle, cryptoquote and word jumble before turning on the computer while awaiting brother to show up in our shop after making a service call direct from home. HT link said that registration was now open. Followed instructions and it worked! Now, anyone signing on later than 9 May 2002, and who doesn't like me here, can only be informed that I was already here when they came! Only post reply which I would like to have back in my entire Internet days was one in CS. Too much ancestral history divulged and sensing something in another reply which may or may have been correct. I'll never know if I were wrong or right.

Martin

Jakesgranny and FaithFirst like this.
  5. hawknest

hawknest Active Member

Gaduchman likes this.
  6. Renee

Renee Well-Known Member

I remember the Greenspun forum!

7. unregistered358967

unregistered358967 Guest

Bumping this to save my place for later. Lots of great info ;)

8. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

remember how it was very possible that it would end?? I really was in mourning then and now very glad it has survived.

9. francismilker

francismilker Udderly Happy! Supporter

I’m not near as “old” a member as most of you. However, I have been away from HT for a few years now (except for occasional lurking) and it has changed a TON! Wow. Is all I can say.

Alice In TX/MO likes this.