Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)

I thought I would introduce myself if you all don't mind - My name is mollie. I joined back in March of 2012 when I started to learn how to spin in Alaska. I probably introduced myself then but since then I have added two more kids (total: three), bought a spinning wheel, and added 'Anna' a glimarka 8harness table loom. Once we settle down (husband just got out of the military and we are in between homes/jobs at the moment) my husband says I can get a floor loom (looking at a used macomber) and a fancier wheel (I currently have a ashford joy for the ease of transport). My teacher who taught me how to spin told me that this would be like 'jumping in the rabbit hole' and boy I looove it! I hope to contribute more now since I have an iPhone :)

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Welcome again Mollie! I'm so happy you took the time to introduce yourself. I too am very interested in hearing about your adventures in weaving and spinning and living in Alaska. Where in Alaska do you live? There are some wonderful fiber guilds up there, hopefully you have been able to hook up with them. How exciting to have an instructor. And rabbit hole is right, it is deep and there are so many off shoots.

Enjoy your journey! I look forward to seeing more of you here :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I lived in Fairbanks for two years. Learned how to spin from Susan miller who has a nice yarn shop up there called 'a weaver's yarn'. Didn't get to be really involved because of the kids :) now I live in Los Angeles and miss it terribly despite winter being around the corner.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I did get some quivut! I got 2oz unprocessed for the 'experience'. Big mistake lol I have a hate for guard hairs.... Haha. I am too scared to spin and another thing is it got packed up with the rest of the stuff for moving and I hope they haven't been gotten by moths It's in a plastic crate + ziplock :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Torrance is home to a fiber show coming up (this weekend or the next, not sure). I am debating to get a fleece since I have a pair of carders now and I really want to learn how to spin long draw. Also a guild member sells out of her home and even though does now have a shop I call in then pick it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
E come mai, Naura. Aloha!

Did you ever get any qiviot to spin?

California has a big angora rabbit club, maybe you'll be able to find some bunny hair to play with? Or get your own angora bunny/micro-sheep!

Are there any spinning or weaving shops near you now?
What part of Hawaii hotzcatz? I lived there a few years back.

·
Glowing in The Sun
1,385 Posts
California has some of the best angora rabbits in the world. The world's best English angora breeder for the last 30 years is Betty Chu, from Morgan Hill, CA. I knew her back in the 1990 period when I was showing 5 breeds of rabbits. She is the best groomer in the world, so her rabbits maintain fabulous coats.

I was at her home one time, she is a Professor of Economics at a university in SF, and it was so funny; we had just gotten there after a show in the early evening of a summertime Saturday, so her husband, a business executive, had to do that day's rabbit chores (lots of chores, mind you). She said "Did you do this?" "Did you do that?" and on down a list of things, and every time he replied "Yes, Honey", "Yes, Honey".... It was totally evident who "wore the pants" in that household!!!

This photo was taken at the ARBC National Convention and posted on the Northern Cali Angora Rabbit Club blog few days ago. Her wool sells for an astronomical price, but it is sooo long, and so nice, it must be a dream to spin! This guy was placed Best Opposite Sex of Breed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts