Lung Worms????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tduerson, Oct 6, 2004.

1. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

I have 1 Boer Doe about 1 yr old and 2 Pygmy Twin Does about 6 mon. old. My Boer had Lung Worms about 2 months ago and we treated and got rid of them. I know they live on the ground and surrounding and now I am treating my Boer again with the same symptoms an one of my Pymgy's. My question is -- Is there anything I can put on the ground like Lyme or any thing else to help to kill them out or at least help!
    Thanks for any advice
    Tina

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

What did you use to treat them with?

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Back at the beginning of the warm season the flies were horrible around here. I swept out the barn and raked and burned and kept things picked up and cleaned up every Saturday and I used a sprayer that you hook to the waterhose and would put some pinesol in it and fill it up with water and hook it to the hose and spray the walls and ceiling and ground in the barn and pen. Then I would put down fresh pine shavings after everything dried out. One evening as I was sitting milking I noticed something moving on the ground. I looked closer and come to find out it was little larve wiggling around. I went in the house and got my DH who came out and looked and he said that he thought it was fly larve. They seemed to be dying from the pinesol I sprayed on the ground. So.....if it kills fly larve it could kill other worms/larve, theoretically. I don't know that as a scientific fact, but it makes sense to me. I didn't let the girls in there while the ground was wet. It dried out pretty quickly on a hot dry day.

4. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

Thanks I will try that. I am willing ot do anything at this point. My Goats are my Babies.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Lungworms are coughed from one goat to the next, so you can't just treat one, you have to treat them all. Valbazen is the treatment of choice, although Ivermectin has lungworm info on the label, we have not seen this working for anyone.

If your brought this in from one goat they have infected the rest of their penmates, if you have this invironmentally, than you need to dry up the wet areas with standing water, get some ducks or hens to eat the snails, and hens are also great for keeping everything stirred up. Larve can live under the very top layer of soil, even in a spotlessly raked pen. The very first time the goats walk into a grass area, they pick up larve on their hooves, then if they step in the manger or grain they have reinfested themselves. Same thing on pasture, the first time the grass has dew on it, or the pasture has puddles as high as the top of the grass the larve simply float up, cling onto it, and wait to be reeaten.

Deep prolonged freeze and high temps with no humidity are about the only thing that keep larve at bay. Vicki