lung worms or pnuemonia?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by murphyjamie, Sep 18, 2006.

1. murphyjamie

murphyjamie Well-Known Member

I have a doe that has been having a dry cough, almost like she is choking and trying to cough up a hairball for around four days now. She is acting normal otherwise as far as eating and drinking go. I took her temp rectally with a digital thermometer and it was 102.8. I dont really see much drainage from her nose, maybe a little tiny bit(clear to white) when she coughs alot. This afternoon I went out and wormed everyone with Cydectin. After worming, I heard one of the other does cough the same. I can actually make the one who has been coughing do it by patting firmly on the side. What do you guys think I should do next?

2. murphyjamie

forgot to mention, I do have an antiobiotic(nuflor) if I need, I just didnt want to give it unless she needed it.

3. murphyjamie

4. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

My 13 goats have been coughing off and on all summer. Other than that they seem fine and are eating and growing well.

We treated them with Valbazen which is supposed to kill lungworm and it made no difference so I don't think that is the reason for the coughing.

Also, I've treated 2 with a 5 day course of penicillin G and it made no difference in the cough.

I may try Tylan 200 on the one I think brought the cough to the herd before I send him off for the winter.

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I've had coughing this summer too (sheep) and it seems to have run it's course in all but one ewe lamb. Mine, too, had the hairball type thing going on. I gave penicillin to the first lamb to show up with it, but as it didn't appear to help her, I didn't bother with the others. Not everyone coughed, just four (a third of my flock.) No clue why, but it sure can be worrisome.