Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a doe who's udder has been an issue with this birth. It got pretty hard initially and softened up over time and effort (salve, massage, milking etc). Since it softened up, I stopped worrying about it as she was nursing twins.

Now that her twins were given to new homes (at 8 weeks) I would like to milk her for our use. I should prob have milked her out all along but didn't as I have two other milking does.

So, at this point, her milk looks fine and tastes fine but.. there are some lumps in her udder. If I feel up from the teat, there's a lump of some sort that kinda floats down. Also, her udder is just way more vascular with lumpy veins showing on the outside. The milk is not discolored in any way.

Is there any reason that I should be concerned about drinking the milk?

At worst case, if a goat does have mastitis and the owner doesn't notice, can the milk make people ill?

I have also wondered about other unknown problems. If a goat had CAE and didn't show symptoms and one used their milk, would that cause illness in humans? What about CL?

Lots of questions, I know.

What are the goat illnesses that could effect humans if consumed? I know E coli of course.

Thanks, in advance oh goat experts!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
CAE only affects goats - so milk from a CAE positive doe is fine for human consumptiopn. I do not belive CL can appear in milk- someone else may have to post more about that.

Are you possibly feeling the actual duct/gland? Sounds like everything is fine, to me. We'll see how others weigh in, but if the milk looks good, smells good and tastes good, I would not worry.

·
woolgathering
2,601 Posts
what is the size?

i have a milk cow that has small lump and had vet look at it and he confirmed what i suspected, blocked milk duct and not to worry about it. She it has since gone, 6 months later.

if you can find a diagram of an udder ( showing insides) you will see the size and shape of the ducts, and should be able to tell if it corresponds with the lump on your doe

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
cae is not transmitted to humans and there are some studies that show benefits for hiv humans, as this strengthen their immune system.
cl is transmittable to humans, so is listerosis and brucellosis, which can lead to abortion in women. tuberculosis is also common and there is believe johne's has something to do with crohn't disease in humans.
still want to drink your milk raw?
i do :) , and i make sure my animals are healthy ;)

the lumps in the udder of your doe might be from staph infection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts