lumpy, bumpy udder?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Spinner, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Some time back I called about a doe I was interested in. I was told she had some little hard knots in her udder. They can't be seen and the lady selling the goat didn't know they were there until a prospective buyer looking the doe over found them. If I remember correctly, they are several little hard bumps on one side. I had forgotten about it and now that I remember, I'd like to find out more about lumpy, bumpy udders. The lady said the doe had never had mastitis or any other problem. Any ideas?

2. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

I'm assuming she's not a first freshner?

Andrea

3. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I think this was her 2nd kids, but I'm not sure. It's been a while back and I really don't remember for sure.

4. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

I'm assuming she's not a first freshner?

Would that be normal for a first freshener???

5. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

Lumps in the udder are not normal for any goat, at any time, and indicate the presence of disease, probably mastitis---possibly subclinical mastitis which the owner may have missed. The lumps are nonproductive scar tissue, which means milk production will be reduced, and they may harbor pockets of infection that could flare up into acute mastitis.

Not a problem to take on lightly unless the doe has phenomenal genetics that can be preserved no other way, you like to gamble, and you have an excellent understanding of the treatment of mastitis.

6. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

Lumps under a non preggo/first time doe could also be the result of a pseudo hermaphodite. The 'boy' parts go under the udder and feel like two small lumps.

Mastitis is a possibility if she is pregnant or has been.

Andrea

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Another possibility is scar tissue from an injury or several cuts. I have two does who were injured by barbed wire and it tore their udders badly. They healed well and are very productive does, but they have lumpy scar tissue where the worst cuts were.