Lump?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tltater, Jul 24, 2004.

1. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Ok, I have read everything I could find on lumps. I even called my vet. about CL. Of course, he isn't a "goat" vet per se but I worked with him and he is an excellent vet with experience in large (farm) animals. He told me it didn't sound like it to him, that the lump would be soft and almost feel as though it had cottage cheese in it. He said he would take it off for me but I am a firm believer if it isn't broke don't fix it...in other words if it doesn't hurt or bother her and it's in no way a danger to her, no need to put her under the knife. We got her Wednsday and I know this lump wasn't there then. It is right under where her collar sits so I know I would have noticed it before because of it's size (bigger than a golf ball but smaller than a baseball). Anyone else have any experience in this?

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

How old is your goat? What do you know of the place you got her from? I have one who experienced this just last week! Turned out to need a good solid deworming. The lump was about tennis ball sized and just under her jaw on the underside of her neck. She didn't act as though she noticed it and it didn't bother her when I messed around with it.

I think they called it bottle jaw. A reaction from anemia when they are carrying a heavy parasite load. If your goat wasn't dewormed recently I'm guessing that is the problem! Deworm her right away and follow it up with a second dose in 21 days...if you are using an herbal wormer, follow the instructions for getting her on it right away. I use Hoegger's Herbal Wormer and it's twice a day for three days and then once a week...it did the trick - the lump is going down...I understand that when you use the chemical wormers (Ivermec, for instance) it's almost right away - like the next morning.

Check her eyes. If they are pale, then she is probably anemic from worms. If they are bloodshot then it could be something completely different.

I am no expert, by any means! I just know that I ran into this so recently it's all still fresh in my head!

Sarah

3. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply. She is about 4 or 5 yrs by looking at her teeth. I got her from an Auction after falling completely in love with her(she is very sweet!) It is lower on her neck. After reading everything I have read, I think I have decided to just take her in and have it removed. If it would be CL at least it would be taken care of before it ruptured and less likely to be caught by any other goats. I won't asperate it and have it checked because if it is CL then you have to deal with the possibility of it spreading more easily.

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated!

4. Your vet is incorrect about what a CL abscess feels like. They are hard knots on the lymph gland, they are unmovable, unlike a sticker or a shot site. They are not just marbles under the skin, but stuck to the deep tissue. The only soft spongy part of the abscess is the head when it is about to pop, they loose the skin, it turns red and bursts like a boil. Goats without abcess are contagious, first because with winter hair you are likely to miss the next abscess. Abscess in the lung is coughed all over her herdmates, and there are also abscess of the urinary tract and udder. When your vet removes this if you find the typical onion skin, peely texture right under the skin, and the cheesy material in the middle of the abscess, not much reason to waste your money on a test. The term cheesy gland is what CL used to be called, and that's exactly what the material looks like.

The very sad thing is if you purchased her a couple months ago, she likely caught this at the auction barn, the material from oozing abscess is contagious on wood surfaces for years. Really want her spreading this in your herd and in your barns? The first abscess does not have to be on a lymph gland site. Now if you just purchased her and she had this abscess quickly come up, why you should quranteen, than simply welcome to the world of auction barn goats :) They are usually there because of communicable disease or mastitis.

Have it removed and test the abscess itself, send it to UC Davis only. Or if the vet can't remove it, some are so deep seated or around major artaries you can't have them removed, so have him aspirate it really well, and send in the material. Do not let her in your barn or areas where other goats will ever be, until she is completely healed and you have a negative test back. Read the CL information in the sticky above.

5. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

Had the same problem with one of my does a couple of months ago. Really gross looking abcess that I only found after it had ruptured. I just knew it was CL. Turned out it was peice of rusty fencing she had gotten into. Good thing my girls had all been vaccinated for tetnus. Still, its a very good idea to separate her from the rest of the herd for a few days, that way she will have time to heal without getting reinfected from the usual goat activity of getting into everything. :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

I read this post b/c I found a small lump on my goats neck a few days ago.

I do not think she has CL (read all about it) but am wondering what on earth it is.

It is a small lump and has like a scratch on it and she has lost a little hair around it. I have put some grapefruit seed extract on it mixed w/neosporin. :cool: YES< I use herbs on the animals :D

It seems to be healing up, but I truly have no clue what happened there?

Snomama

7. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

Something as simple as getting stuck with a piece of straw can become a lump. We had a doe with a lump last year and were in a panic. Took her to the vet and had it lanced,then started her on antibiotics. The tests came back fine,no CL. Make sure she's up to date on her tetanus shots,and keep the area cleaned up..Neosporin is great. My vet had me use Gentamycin on this doe's lump. I had to keep re-opening the lump so I could apply it to the inside. Yuk!