Lump on pups neck... shot abcess?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by slkirky, Mar 21, 2004.

1. slkirky

slkirky Member

We have a very loved male Jack Russell Terrier puppy. He is 4 1/2 months old. Earlier this week I gave all our dogs their yearly distemper/parvo/lepto shots. Although I have given Bouncer shots before, this is the first time it had the lepto in it, until now it was the puppy shot without lepto. I gave the shots on Wednesday.

This morning he has a lump on the back of his neck. I can't recall exactly where I gave his shot, but it would have been in that general area. The lump does not hurt him, is soft but not squishy feeling. It is a smooth lump, about the size of half a ping pong ball. It was NOT there yesterday. While trying to calm the kids, I am about to panic myself! All I can think of is cancer! BUT, when my childhood dog had cancer, I remember that they were knotty lumps, in lymph nodes. This is the back of the neck, not in the throat area, armpit, etc. Also, it came up so fast... and he was out in the goat pen and chicken yard for the first time yesterday... so does an abcess sound right? Money is a major issue, and although I could manage the 50 bux to take him to the vet, I could not afford to have anything surgical done.

Please advise!!!!!
    Stephanie

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Although I have not had this specific problem with a dog, it is very common for the little goats to get a lump exactly as you describe at the sight of their shots.
    Nothing at all to worry about. It will eventually go away on it's own.
    mary

3. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Don't panic;

I have had the identical problem with calves and older cattle too. A lump about the size of "half a golf ball" comes up and goes down slowly over the course of 5 or 6 weeks. I had one cow carry the lump for a year.

Thank goodness it was the dog. What if it had been one of the kids? Someone would have accused you of beating them.
    Ox

4. slkirky

slkirky Member

Oh thank you so very much!!!! I *thought* that was all it was but I feared it was something nastier. Now I think I can sleep tonight!

Stephanie