Lump on goat. What could it be???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dr.Who, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

I found a lump on a 1 yr old Nubian Buck by his flank. I sent some blood to uc davis to test for CL and the results were negative. What could this lump be? Can goats get tumors, cysts, or swollen glands, or even cancer? I can pull the skin to make a tent over the lump. The lump is hard and moves around when you try to move it. Very odd. He doesn't seem bothered by it. It doesn't bother him when I touch it or move it around. He seems to be in no pain. Any ideas what this might be?
    Dr.Who

2. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

It could be something as simple as a splinter... goats love to scratch and he may have gotten a small splinter of wood just under the skin.

3. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

The lump is about an inch and a half wide. I forgot to add that.
    Here is a picture of him. I circled the lump area.
    [​IMG]

4. ilikefathorses

ilikefathorses My Horse Really Is Fat

It looks rather small to be an abcess. I tend to agree; it's probably a splinter.

5. ilikefathorses

ilikefathorses My Horse Really Is Fat

Beautiful buck, by the way.

6. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

did he get a shot there?

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Maybe you should have it lanced and then send in the fluids from it to a testing facility to make sure he wasn't exposed to CL anytime lately, and picked it up.

8. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I agree, have the pus or whatever contents of the abcess tested.

9. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

In the 1st post I wrote that I just had his blood sent to UC Davis to have him tested for CL and the results came back negative. Are you saying that after getting negative results back today.. he might have CL????

10. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have already had it tested it probably is not CL. Most knots are not CL especially in the area he has it. I tend to agree that he has probably picked up a splinter or something.

11. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I don't think its CL. But I would think that if it was a splinter or such..it would be softer. I had an aged whether..got a hard lump that moved just like you are describing. I gave him some iodine. It went away.

I also had had one doe have kids that year that had goiters from a lack of iodine.

If it isn't an injection site lump..If it were me, I would give him a boost of iodine to see if you saw a difference.

I also have an "old" doe. Her mother had black bag mastitis and died. I noticed when I put her up on the stand...she had a lump in her bag also. I think it is a hereditary thing. When I cross her with boer..none of the girls get this.

Anyway...every year..I fight with her on mastitis. Until a year ago. I..out of desperation..started using a product called Miracle 11. Every time a milk her...2x a day...I finish by rubbing her bag with this gel. Last year..it totally dispersed that longstanding lump in her bag. I believe it has kept her from developing mastitis last year..and this year. If it worked on her lump..it may well work on his...no matter if its cause is a splinter or injection site bump.

He is one beautiful buck. And people may question him on that lump. Which would be a shame since he has already passed the CL test.

I don't know if these things will work for you. But sometimes its the oddest things that strike an animal..and its not the "usual" cl, cae, etc. Its something unique to them. Good luck!

12. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Where did you get this Miracle 11? I tried to do a search and I come up with a whole line of soaps, etc. called Miracle II. Is it one of those? Or is it from a feed store. I'd love more info on this. Thanks!

13. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Yes..that is the stuff. I buy it from a friend. I think its one of those pyramid do biddies. I'm not sure. But I just buy what I need when I need it.

I use the (blue colored) soap. For my laundry. It's expensive..but ya don't need much of it. I have fibromyalgia..so I try to keep the harsh chemicals down.

The stuff I use on Weezie is called something like..Miracle ll neutralizing gel. I just use a squirt in the palm of my hand and massage it in after I milk..right now that's twice a day.

I sure can't say ... this is a cure for mastitis! But..I can say that she has not had it since I started doing this...and she was/is a chronic mastitis goat.

I almost hated to even suggest this. But I was desperate with my problem. And thought .. what the heck..some people will laugh probably..but if it helps somebody else..that's a good thing. And if somebody else is desperate..maybe they will want to try it too.

This product swears it will do alot of things. I don't stand behind those claims..cause I don't know if they are true. I do like there soap..for anything from washing clothes to washing cupboards. And my hands don't suffer from using it.

My guess is....I think there are quite a few things that will change the ph of a goat..just like ours changes. My guess is..Weezies ph in her bag is off when she is in full milking mode. This stuff changes her bags ph. I really think it is that simple. I don't feed it to her. I don't get carried away with putting it on her. Just a quick massage with a squirt..twice a day. And only on her bag.