Lump from vaccination

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kesoaps, Apr 24, 2006.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Had someone help with vaccinating the lambs this year. One is headed to market, so she got it under her leg so that she'd avoid any chance of a lump developing...hahaha! The one who got it in the neck is fine, but the one under the arm has a large lump that obviously bothers her when she does any amount of running.

So...I've never had any reaction before, how long can I expect her to favor this leg?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A month or so, lumps are frustrating

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ross. I should note that it wasn't so a lump wouldn't develop, but that it wouldn't be noticable in class. Good to know she's not abnormal for life :p

4. kirsten

kirsten Well-Known Member

Likely it is an abscess in the injection site. That is why it is painful for her to move around. Do you clean your needles with alcohol? My vet just told me that doing so can create abscesses at the injection site. I don't know what to do for an abscess but if I were you I would look to treament options and use clean needles and never put a needle in a lamb and then back into the bottle. If your vaccination bottle is contaminated, inject 1 cc of penicillin into the bottle. I made that mistake and my vet told me I could clean up my cdt bottle by using penicillin. I wouldn't think a lump was a joke myself.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A joke no, common yes. I use new needles for every injection, and get lumps/knots. A subQ knot isn't really a big problem, unless they're rubbing the skin raw from it. A lump from an IM injection is a problem. I'd chuck a contaminated bottle myself, but the PenG idea is an interesting one.