Luggage questions about flying

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't find this information online and having worked in customer service myself, I don't trust the peons who answer the phone to give me a right answer.

I will be flying from PHX to New York (Rochester) in a week. I used to work at an airport, before 9/11, so I have a general clue about how things work and how to survive a flight that long. I will be DRIVING home from ROC, so we're going to need an ice chest. Neither I nor my friend have much money. I do have a nice Coleman ice chest here, plus some tools I want to bring that my boyfriend doesn't have that I know I'll have to check. I haven't flown since 9/11 (bought the homestead a few months before and haven't had time for a vacation since.)

Can I use my ICE CHEST as luggage? I figure I can put my tools in the ice chest (sealed in plastic bags), duct tape the whole affair shut -- or maybe attach a latch to the ice chest -- and call it Redneck Luggage. Does anyone think the airlines will let me do this? I know the answer used to be yes (I used to see people checking cardboard boxes) but I know they've gotten pretty picky and I'd hate to have to buy a suitcase at airport prices. None of the tools are particularly expensive -- a set of walmart off-brand socket wrenches, pliers, cheap hammer, screwdriver, baling wire, duct tape, etc. -- "on the road car fixing" stuff. *L* They'll probably x-ray it and want to open it so I'll include a roll of duct tape inside and a note to tape it shut again when they're done checking it out. :)

Also, on my carryon -- I know you used to be able to lash two bags together if they were small, and call that "one" bag as long as they were still small enough. Can you still do that?

Does my purse count as a carry-on?

I know you're now not supposed to take bottles with liquid in them past the checkpoint. I have medical issues and have prescription and non-prescription meds I need to take. I assume if I have a prescription label on them I can take the prescription items. Should I just plan on buying the non-prescription stuff when I get there? (Bottles of liquid benadryl and robitussin.)

Leva

2. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

I think they have to be able to open it if needed. That doesn't mean you can't check it (I've seen lots of taped boxes checked) but you might have problems if they choose to spot check it and cut the tape loose. If you had some sort of strap or belting you could use instead it would probably be better. Not sure they'd bother to retape anything they opened.

As for carry ons, you are allowed one carry on and one "personal item" which for women is typically a purse. I've taken my rolling carry on and a camera bag on many flights.

Can't really tell you on the meds... I think the concern is mostly glass bottles, and of course proof of perscription on any controlled meds.

J

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

why didnt you waite to get the tools there and if the cooler is for the ride home one of those cheap ones will do for the car trip

4. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Ask this question over in "General Chat" one of the regular posters (can't remember who now) works for the Feds as a security officer at an airport.

5. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

OK, banged my head a few times against the wall and got the name.

It's Willow-Girl and she's a baggage screener for TSA. Maybe you could PM her and ask.

6. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I fly from Sacramento to Philadelphia on a pretty regular basis. On almost every trip I pack a cooler with goodies to take to my folks....it is no problem to check but watch the weight of the item. I tape mine shut and each time they cut the tape and examine the contents and then retape the cooler..I've never had a problem in over a dozen flights since 911. DO NOT use a styrafoam cooler!! I've also packed jars of homemade jams and salsa in my carryon....got some funny looks and a couple of questions but no problem with taking them onboard the aircraft. You should have no problems with your carry on stuff nor the cooler. Have a nice trip!!

7. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there any reason you can't ship the tools and things ahead of time, like by UPS. Thats what we do when we can, that way there is no rassel at the airport.