Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made it one year. Alright folks, will my steel canisters keep out flour moths? I only found them in one of the canisters, and the cornmeal from Walmart which it contained is my prime suspect for the infestation. But there are these tiny things about as big as this . - in ten years I won't even be able to see them- in a few different things (not either flour canister) INCLUDING the sugar. Almost look like teensy ants but can't quite make them out. Black-dark.

And did you know the flour moths will infest peanuts and even pistachios? (All left over from dear bro's visit)? Thankfully my precious walnuts and almonds are in ziplock.

Compost heap gained 15 pounds- bet it'll love 5# of sugar!

Do I need to freeze everything? All the time or just when I bring it home? Even the sugar?

L

·
0 Posts
Any long-term storage flour/seed/pasta/cereal type foods here are placed in their packages inside plastic bags heavily dusted with DE on the inside. When treated that way, we have NO bug infestations.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
I think the eggs are probably in the flour when you purchase it ... it's just a matter of keeping it around long enough for them to hatch out!

*retch, gag*

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I just had to clean out my pantry due to them. I don't usually shop Wal-Mart, but I went there with a neighbor who is recovering from being ill and didn't want to drive the 22 miles alone. I bought corn meal there about 6 weeks ago. I went to use it and it was full of these little maggoty looking worms. I threw it out and wen tback to the pantry to look and they were all over it, in the corners and the undersides of the lower shelves. :eek: I had to throw out so much. Cake mixes, a new box of brown sugar, 2 bags of flour (King Arthor, not cheap), dried potatoes, a bag of brown rice, and the list goes on. Just another reason why I don't show Wal-Crap. :flame: :grump: :Bawling:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
willow_girl said:
I think the eggs are probably in the flour when you purchase it ... it's just a matter of keeping it around long enough for them to hatch out!

*retch, gag*

That is exactly correct! They will always BE in the flour, etc. You have to figure out how to keep them from hatching. I have hatches all the time from birdseed kept in a covered stainless steel small garbage pail. They still hatch out.

Pat

PS. Wal-Mart is not the enemy here. The eggs are in the product at the MILL and at the grain storage place. I lived in a city with the world's largest grain elevators. Believe me, the eggs and bugs will always be in that stuff no matter where you buy it at. Unless you grow and mill/grind your own stuff.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I have great luck in freezing ( for several weeks after I buy it)or storing my flour and grain products in the freezer. Vaccume sealing will also help as there is little oxygen to hatch.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You haven't lived till you walk into your kitchen at night for a glass of water, turn on the light and see tons of larvae marching across your ceiling. Talk about cleaning at midnight. Went thru everything and found the adults flying in and out of a bag of dry dog food. Garbage bagged that sucker up and out into the night it went.

Check your dried pet food for the the little guys as well.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
You obviously haven't put any bay leaves in your canisters, have you? Put one or two in every container for products which have any sort of cereal in them - flour, pasta, grains etc.

You can also scatter bay leaves on your pantry shelves. Bay really does the job of keeping those bugs away. Of course, it helps if your containers are air-tight, and that you haven't purchased those bugs, or their eggs, at the same time as the product itself!

A zap in the microwave will kill both the bugs and their eggs.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My wifes' grandmother was going to sell an old cedar wardrobe cabinet she had. I asked if I could buy, which I did. I did some fancy remodeling on it, and turned it into a pantry for flour, cornmeal, sugar, grits and other dry goods. I have not had bug one since I have started using it to store stuff in.

P

·
0 Posts
Yep, the eggs are in all grain products and when the temp and time are right, they will hatch. The large grain mills fight them all the time by fumigating the grain. So do food plants that use such products. Peanuts also.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay no longer any need to assess my garden harvest for whether I need a freezer or not, I just need one for my starchy products.

Oggie, I'll eat the eggs- frozen- but not the worms/ bugs. I'll admit when I found the smaller bugs (brownish not black- not moths but smaller) in my small canister of rice (when I added it to boiling water) I cooked it, fed that to the dog and then tossed the rest of the small canister. When they were also in the BIG canister I carefully rinsed the rice til I saw no more bugs (so much for any fortified powder) and that's what we had for supper. When I was young and worked for an Indian restaurant the owner always had us rinse the rice til the water came out clean- I thought just to stop stickiness. Maybe to get out the bugs though my young eyes never saw any- perhaps her habit was developed for the Indian rice vermin if any and I'm sure there are.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
OK so I just opened up a bag of flour that had been sitting in storage since march - saw a couple little holes in the surface that looked like burrows but I couldn't see anything else. I don't think I'll be using the flour, would that be flour moths or something?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts