Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me just vent. AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

O.K. Better.

I sent my almost 2 week freshened doe's milk sample to LSU for mastitis testing. I talked to the very nice lady on the phone who told me how to pack it: freeze it, wrap it in a cold pack and send it by post office next day guaranteed. She said to make sure I do it on Wednesday b/c sometimes the post office takes two days and they need to get it by Friday.

So off I go to spend $24.50 at the post office--who told me that for their zip code they cannot guarantee overnight, but can two day. Since the LSU lady told me that sometimes the post office takes two days, I agreed. Still same price. Nice. Anyway..........

Today LSU informs me that they milk was not cold when they got it and it's no good to sample. Almost $25 bucks for NOTHING!!!

So, now what? If the indicator cards are worthless and the CMT is worthless and LSU can't get my milk samples in time to be cold (guess cause it's 100 plus outside?) what should I do now?

I'm so mad. I'm not sure what to do next.

Dee

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
sorry for all the inconvinience dee. i know how frustrating it can be with the post office.
if you go with fed ex they deliver over night.
in the meantime i would milk this doe more frequently. most of the time you can get sub clinical mastitis under control with more milking.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We live in Missouri. No way does DH want to do fed ex after wasting $25 bucks already. If they have to have the milk cold that would mean buying dry ice and doing Fed Ex overnight.....he's not convinced we even needed to test. He thinks it's a matter of waiting it out and the milk will taste fine.

I wish she would have told me the milk had to be cold. I wouldn't have done it. She just said overnight it and make sure to get it there by Friday. I guess if after another couple of weeks we don't have good tasting milk I can convince him to do it again through Fed Ex. I don't know, though. What's the second best option? Grrrrrrr.

I could start milking three times a day, I guess. But if others have had to wait three weeks.....I guess I can wait another to see how the milk is.

Dee

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I haven't been checking here if you have answered before so -forgive my ignorance but..... if you live in Mo, why are you sending it to LSU? Mastitis is mastitis and all they are going to do is give you a somatic cell count.
Any state lab can do that and I am sure that there is one in Mo....... Sometimes they will culture it and tell you what kind of bacteria it is but by the time you get that back, it has either resolved itself or it is a REALLY BAD situation. If you really think there is a problem, you need to treat it and not fiddle around with testing or it will be too late. Standard treatment is a teat infusion or milking several times a day. If it really bad and has gone systemic (she will run a fever and feel terrible) then she will need a shot of antibiotics. In 20 years, I've only had 2 of those.

As far as tasting funny, I have several does that we don't even try to drink their milk until they are 10-12 days fresh. They just seem to take longer to get thru the colostrum and they are heavy milkers so that large amount of milk stretches the udder and causes a little damage. I just keep milking and they toughen up and the milk is fine. Sometimes it is the same with first fresheners.

Other than that, milk clean, cool it to 40 degrees as fast as you can and don't store it in the fridge with the lid tighly capped. Goat milk is like fine wine--- it needs to breathe

Good luck
Tana Mc

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
Tana Mc said:
I Mastitis is mastitis and all they are going to do is give you a somatic cell count.

Good luck
Tana Mc
they will tell you, what kind of bacteria has invaded the udder, and which treatment would be best.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I also live in MO and it cost me 45$ to fed x it to LSU.
They did send me an e-mail tellingme it was Mastitis. SPP I think it was, but I treated the doe as directed and I don't believe she is cured even though my soap test came out ok this time.
The freezer test did not!
I put her milk in the freezer to cool and It froze before I remembered it.
When it thawed it had a half inch of grainy cream on top. Not normal.
Now I am not going to spend that kind of money again so I guess I will just have to re treat her.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SPP I think it was, but I treated the doe as directed and I don't believe she is cured even though my soap test came out ok this time.
The freezer test did not!>>>

What's SPP? What kind of symptoms did your doe have?

And.....(I'm full of questions tonight). What is the soap test and freezer test?

My lightning has no symptoms, other than weird tasting milk. It's now like ....you drink it and think, "Hmmm....tasting better." And then a couple of seconds later that aftertaste kicks in. She's 2 weeks fresh today. So still a waiting game, I guess.

Dee

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It is actually staphylococcus SPP.
She had no symptoms but her milk tasted really bad and the cream would separate like cows milk and was rubbery the very next day.
The freezer test is not a test.
It is just that when a goat has mastitis there is usually little sandy like lumps in the milk and when her milk thawed the cream had separated again and was like sand floating on the top of the milk. That's how I know she is not cured yet.

Now older frozen milk will do that even if the milk is OK but this was fresh milk.
I forget and let the milk freeze often and it does not do that unless it is old.
Her milk is just not right yet.
Can't afford another test to tell me what I already know.
By the way, mine got this before she freshened.

The soap test.... take equal parts dawn dish soap and milk and put it in a cup and swirl gently. let it set a little bit. If there is bacteria it will get thicker.
Mine does not get thicker now so I know she is a lot better but still not right.

·
Registered
433 Posts
When sending samples in that need to remain cold make sure the sample is cold to begin with. Then, put the sample in a ziplock bag along with freezer packs, wrap well with newspaper and put in a box (the newspaper acts as a bit of insulation). If you can get a "shipping cooler" from your vet (that is how vaccines are sent to them) then you can put the packs and sample in the cooler to ship.

Shipping dry ice is a pain......you won't want to go there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, first off I have not posted here much but read often. I would like to tell you what I have learned about mastitis in goats as I have had to deal with it a few times.

A CMT test WILL WORK on goat milk. It detects white blood cells in the milk and reacts if they are high enough. This will tell you if you have an infection going. The problem with a CMT is it can give a false positive, but I am told by my vet that will not give a false negative. I will agree that the cards do not work very well as there is no way to keep them from being contaminated.

You do not need to send milk off to a university to get results. Contact a local cow dairy and ask where they have their testing done and drive it over there and have it done. Cow dairy’s do not have time to mess around with sending samples all over the US as they test every week and waiting is not an option.

A quick cheap test you can do is to mix equal parts of milk and a clear liquid dish soap (joy) and see if it gels. If is does you more than likely have an infection going.

If you suspect mastitis, milk that doe as often as possible to help keep the infection as low as possible.
The infusion products such as Today and Tomorrow do not work very well. If you can find it, it is more than likely out dated. Why ?, because it has not been released from the maker for quite some time and according to my vet that is due to it not working anymore for whatever reason.

Do not sit back and let this go. It can ruin her udder and even kill her if ignored. There are many treatments that are available. Pursue is a great one as is Cloxicillin. Both require a vet scrip but do a great job. I have a Grade A goat dairy and rely on these meds as needed and can tell you they work as does the CMT test. When treating mastitis I always treat with infusions as well as injections of the appropriate antibiotic. Naxcel works great and has a short milk hold.

Tell your DH that if she is not worth spending money on for testing she is at that time worth more in meat and it is time to have her processed. A doe is only worth what you are willing to spend trying to fix her when she is sick. If the limit is $25.00 that is what she is worth.

Good luck,

Greg

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
So far it has been more like $150.00.
I already have meds to treat several goats but I understand that I do not need to treat her again right now so I won't.
Her value to me right now is that she is Mom to my much better doe-ling.
This doe has good conformation. She just has a blown teat and was stunted with cocci as a kid so therefore even though she is short her bloodlines are good so I can get good kids from her and the buck has even better lines so the doe-ling should be a good one. She has a large rueman and looks pregnant all the time.
The breeder, a vet, said she was bred for that. I don't like the looks of it myself even though I know that can be a good thing. I like Molly, who also had a big rueman but not quite that big.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
A CMT test WILL WORK on goat milk. It detects white blood cells in the milk and reacts if they are high enough. This will tell you if you have an infection going. The problem with a CMT is it can give a false positive, but I am told by my vet that will not give a false negative.

If it gives false positives how is it working? And I have does who are negative for subclinical staph and who have never had mastitis gel, some never gel, some gel only in the last 10th month of lactation when heavy bred. Unless you use CMT every month and keep records by the time you use it to detect mastitis, and it gells enough for a goat reading you already know there is something going on in the udder.

LSU is free, there isn't a dairy around me that tests for anything, I would rather pay the shipping to use a lab that will do a sensitivity test.

It's unlikely without a relationship with a vet that they will give them Pirsue or even Naxcel without seeing the doe....and without a diagnosis of what bacteria, if any, this is, she will likely introduce more bacteria into the udder than what she has now, or will use drugs that won't touch what she has.

There are simply mastitis that are tolerated at dairies that in the family milker she should be culled. The percentages of mastitic cows and goats at dairies are very high, only when I culled heavily and tested, and vaccinated was I able to keep masittis at bay. I am small time now with not one doe who has even subclincial mastitis, with testing from LSU. Vicki

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Your vet should be able to submit a sample to whatever lab he/she uses. As Vicki points out, LSU is free, but it's useless if you can't get a useable sample there. Many, if not most, vets use a lab which provides courier pickup of samples, ensuring that your sample would arrive in a testable condition.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have a vet who will have samples of things tested. Ask your vet.... if they will not, then I am sure they will atleast help you with 'how-tos' on getting it shipped without problems!

Cricket

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, everyone for your suggestions. I appreciate it. I have learned alot, even if all viewpoints don't always agree 100 percent. It seems it's that way for alot of goat issues. LOL! I will check with my vet to see if there's an option there. And next time I know I'll have to use dry ice and special packing if I want to do LSU (my sample was for sure no good, BTW). But I have learned not to jump the gun so soon next time--at least on a FF who I'm not familiar with and who has no symptoms.

Lightning's milk is just fine now. The weird rotten sort of taste that was so strong on day 4 gradually lessened until it became just an after taste at about day 10. Right at two weeks post freshening we couldn't taste it at all. Her milk now tastes just fine. :) So at least for her this time it just took awhile.

And I agree with your statement, Greg:
<<<<Tell your DH that if she is not worth spending money on for testing she is at that time worth more in meat and it is time to have her processed. A doe is only worth what you are willing to spend trying to fix her when she is sick. If the limit is $25.00 that is what she is worth>>>>

But, I don't think DH was saying she wasn't worth the $25. He was just upset that I wasted $25 sending a sample that wasn't any good when it got there. Something I decided to do---and he didn't think was necessary. He thought it would just take time for the milk to lose that taste . Turns out he was right. This time. Hee hee. :rolleyes:

Dee

1 - 16 of 16 Posts