Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at larger producers with LSG dogs. How do you keep the nieghbours from complaining about barking dogs? We are isolated so it does not bother anyone. But if we rented pasture we would need the dogs. Our dogs routinly bark through out the night.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
How do you keep the nieghbours from complaining about barking dogs?
There's big money in the answer if it's legal. :) Maybe explaining thier role and that the barking is keeping preditors away from thier homes and children etc too would help?

·
Pure mischief
897 Posts
Rob30 said:
I have been looking at larger producers with LSG dogs. How do you keep the nieghbours from complaining about barking dogs? We are isolated so it does not bother anyone. But if we rented pasture we would need the dogs. Our dogs routinly bark through out the night.
There are laws that protect you if you have LGD. Check the archives at
www.ldg.org

there's a tonne of information there.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I think the advice to educate your neighbors on how the dogs guard and that the barking has a purpose should help. Most people are fascinated by the dogs when you explain how they live with the sheep and protect the lambs from danger. Explain how hearing the bark at night comforts you knowing that they are on guard keeping the sheep safe. We too are isolated, but obviously our neighbors talk about the dogs in the community, because we have people drive by slowly to look for them on the hillside, and often someone remarks "oh, you are the people with the big white dogs". :rolleyes:

Lisa at Somerhill
www.somerhillfarm.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts