Lowline Angus question!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Faith Farm, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Faith Farm

Faith Farm Well-Known Member

I have a dozen Blk Angus which are doing fine. All were bred last fall and are
    currently droping calfs, 7 as I write. What do you folks know of Lowline Angus?
    I am interested in adding them to my small herd and was wondering if the
    mixing would be a problem. We have about 60+ acres of rotational graze
    which I can paddock off the Lowlines. Thanks for the advice.
    Paul

2. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

We have one lowline cow. She runs with the dry cows and heifers on our dairy, mostly jersey. This cow acts like any other beef cow,never looses weight, requires no attention. She was purchased by a reletive for a get rich quick scheme, so for no claves or embryos in three plus years. She is a spitting image of the angus of the Pre 70 era, under three feet tall,and fat at 950 just like my dad showed in the 60's. On a funny note she is easily trapped because she won't walk over a old downed wire, or tree branches. They do seem to be an ideal acreage cow providing you process the beef, cause you'd probably not get much at the auction.

3. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

Can Someone Tell Me What A Lowline Angus Is, Compared To A Reg. Angus?

The Reason I Ask Is I Have A 14 Month Angus Bull. His Dad Was Purebred Angus And I Dont Know His Ma. He Is All Black And Today I Was Told That He Is A Dwarf, His Dad Was Not. That I Should Get Rid Of Him. He Is Short For His Age. He Is Grumpy. But I Put Diaznon Ear Tag On Him Sev. Months Ago. Thought That Might Be The Reason.

Thank You, Mom

4. SF

SF New Member

I would not allow lowline females to be bred to standard size angus bulls. They may not be able calve.
    Lowlines were developed in Australia. Quality registered lowlines are worth about 3 times the money of a registered angus.

5. SF

SF New Member

Two sites listed below. Both have info on the lowline angus. Lowlines are going to appear similar to standard size angus, only miniaturized. They are miniature angus. Great cattle, great market, very expensive.

Dwarfism is a genetic defect. There hasn't been much of it in the Angus breed since the 70's. They have found a few calves with the recessive dwarfism gene in the past couple of years. The American Angus Association is researching through pedigrees. If the sire was a registred bull, you should be able to find out about the sire side through AAA. If you have any doubt about the dwarfism, then sell him for slaughter. This is a very bad genetic defect and it is very hereditary. Send me a pic of the bull. If he is a dwarf he will appear out of proportion. Are you sure he is not just stunted? Has he been on good feed. If he is a purebred Angus bull and he is 14 months old, been on good feed, in good condition, and healty, he should be about about 48 to 52 inches at the hip and weigh 900 to 1100 pounds.

http://www.usa-lowline.org/
    http://lowline.une.edu.au/

Good luck

6. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

I intend to breed whatever cows I have to a lowline bull, via AI, and that will not be any more expensive than any other type of bull. Sometime, I'll get some Dexters, and probably breed up to lowline from there -- lowlines are very expensive, I'm hoping they also will marble on grass, which is one valuable angus characteristic that will benefit our operation.

7. DJ in WA

DJ in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a half Jersey, half lowline angus heifer, which I hope will be my ideal small acreage dual-purpose cow. She is pretty stocky - I don't see much of the Jersey in her except she's taller than lowlines (about 44 inches at the hip). She is due to calve the end of July, and I'm seeing that she fattens too easily. She has meager early grass pasture that seems to be enough for her. I have to separate her at feeding time from the Jersey bull calf I have. I'm trying to keep her from getting too fat and having a tougher time calving, though she's bred to miniature hereford and should do okay.

She is super gentle, and I'm thinking that might contribute to putting on weight. I heard a study saying that nervous, fidgety people burn more calories and weigh less. Perhaps that applies to cows.