Lowline Angus Cattle

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by angus, Jun 28, 2005.

1. angus

angus Somewhere in Oklahoma

Anybody have any experience with this breed?? Sounds like an interesting breed. Unfortunately, it looks like they are fairly difficult to find. I imagine this could be a problem if someone wished to raise a small herd of em ...

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, experiences are greatly appreciated ...

2. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think its 'take out your wallet' time. The lowlines are frightfully expensive, maybe its worth it, maybe not. I just corresponded with Dori Steckley in Michigan, She offered me two 1/2 blood cows bred back for $2500 each. I'm trying to build a herd a cheaper way, breeding up from jerseys and dexters.

3. angus

angus Somewhere in Oklahoma

How much are Jersey and Dexter heifers/cows? Can you find any Dexters in the Texas/Oklahoma region?

4. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Jerseys are high dollar right now. You can find them for around $1000 but you have to hunt. If you call a dairy they are going to want $1500-2500 for a heifer. Dexters cows are around $1000-$1400 and heifers are $600-$1000. Too bad you don't want a dexter bull calf :)

5. georgiarebel

georgiarebel Well-Known Member

Lowlines are a breed we considered when we started looking. It was between them and Dexter's. Doing internet searches we found Lowlines to be expensive $$$. Specialty breeds seem to be that way. Guess that's why they call them special :D

As with anything else there's probably just expensive start up cost involved. We ran into the same thing putting up our fence and barn. A thousand T-post aren't cheap, but we figured we'd only have to do it once. No matter which breed you choose once you get your initial cows you'll be able to build your herd from there.

GR

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

You might want to try using A I breeding ,on small frame cows to the breed you want that might work best .

7. lonewolfparker

lonewolfparker Active Member

who had the dexter bull calf where are you located and what kinda money are you looking for

8. quailkeeper

Me :) Arkansas $500 for registered black dexter bull calf.

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

do dexters do well at market in ar. and what part of ar. are you

10. quailkeeper

They do pretty good here. Adults bring very little at auction but who knows which calf is a dexter and which calf is a young angus.