Lowe's has plants, shade and fruit trees 50% off

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ravenlost, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Just got back from Lowe's. They had a lot of flowers, shrubs, shade and fruit trees marked 50% off or more. We got some great deals! I got three pots of flowers for the flower bed, a large hibiscus, seven hanging baskets of flowers, a large dogwood, a large crabapple (with little apples on it), a red raspberry and an ornamental indoor plant for under $5!!!

LOL...we had three $25 gift cards to use. One from my daughter to my husband on his birthday and I got two at Kroger's when I transferred prescriptions. Ah...I love to shop when I can get good deals!

2. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Way to go! :dance:

Thank you for the heads-up; I need to go to a home improvement store and now it looks like I'll be going to Lowe's. Wonder if DH will be suspicious when I ask him to park on the garden side of the lot instead of the lumber side? :angel:

/VM

3. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

We picked up a Montmorency cherry last week for 1/2 price -- not bad to get a balled and bagged tree for $12 plus tax!

Maybe I'll swing over there and see what else they have. Just wanted the one cherry for now (it's a pie cherry and doesn't need a pollinator).

You might want to check around on the lumber prices though, /VM. I've found that the local Lowe's is a bit more spendy than Menard's or Home Depot.

Pony!

4. ginsengsally

ginsengsally Well-Known Member

Better to spend a few extra bucks to buy locally, it will cost all of us in the long run if we don't.

Eat & Buy Locally!

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Was at the local one the otherday, And the sales help in the garden dept. Was in the dark as to prices and varities of plants , All I ask for was info on the Bannanna trees they sell. The discount places are not A good place to buy , If the hired help have NO idea of what they sell...

6. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

The Terre Haute Rural King has all trees 50% off as well: fruit trees, bradford pears,
    and several miscellaneous trees. I bought 3 fruit trees, one wasn't looking very good
    but since then I've watered it every day and now new leaves are forming. Love those
    1/2 off specials in the garden section!

7. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

What was the caliper, height and how many branches, and how were the branches balanced? were they straight?

The reason for asking is that, based on that criteria determines the quality of the plant vs price. You can spend 12 bucks for 2 dollar tree if you don't pay attention to those factors.

8. Pony

I have no idea what "caliper" is, let alone how to determine it.

I'm in the house and it's too dark to go look right now, but the tree is about 4' tall, there are 5 or 6 straight, balanced branches; one lovely leader that is a little tall so I do believe I shall prune this next Winter (late); and it is a healthy looking tree overall. Based simply on experience and what looks "right" to me, I have chosen well when purchasing trees. I've not done as well with bare root mail order stuff.

As it is, I feel I got a decent tree for a decent price, and I got to see it before I bought it. There are really no nurseries around here (and I have looked for them, I assure you), so I would have had to purchase mail order had I not found this tree.

What IS caliper, and what bearing does it have on the health/viability of the tree? Enquiring minds, etc.

Pony!

9. skruzich

Caliper is the diameter of the trunk of the tree, It should be a certain thickness vs height of tree. So for example if you got a 2" tree and 8' tree, you got a low quality tree. I. There is a chart you can get that lists what a tree should be when you purchase it. Its a standard that is set by the industry to determine a quality tree. THe problem is that MOST people don't know this and the big box stores by second and third rate quality trees and sell them to the public for like way more than their worth. Not saying you got a bad deal just alerting you that there is a standard that should be met.

Here is the standard for shade trees
    [​IMG]

Your 4' tree should be at least a half inch thick, and i don't have my book nearby but i think it says you should have at least 3 -4 branches, and should be symetrically spaced. YOu should have at least 1 dominant branch that will be your top branch going straight up. When you go to pruning branchs, you will create new forks.
    OH ok, kool i found my manual online. Here it is.

http://www.anla.org/applications/Documents/DocsANLAStandard2004.pdf

If you use the information in this pdf, you will always get the best product for your money. AND with a bit of comparative shopping and knowing what a 6' tree a 12' tree a 16' tree sells for on average you can come up with a idea on when your getting a good deal or getting low quality product.
    Remember if your tree is lets say 18' and 1" caliper, your getting a bad bad very very bad product which more than likely won't live.
    Some folks think ooohh i got a great deal it sooo tall. and then only get disappointed when it doesn't live due to its inability to survive the shock.

Hope that helps

10. Pony

Excellent! Thanks so much!

I'll head outside to check this after I finish up here. :)

Pony!

11. via media

via media Tub-thumper

And thank you for the tip about the lumber, Pony - DH and I are a bit new to building/repairing :help: so things like that are always great to know.

/VM

12. Pony

You're welcome.

Lumber prices have really gone up since last year's hurricanes, and we always try to get the best value for the dollar.

Sadly, when we went to local (and not so local) lumber mills to see if we could get a deal on "seconds" type of wood for outbuildings, the prices were 3 or 4 times not only the big box stores but also local places like Siegels and Hines. :shrug: Hard to know what to do, so we did not buy anything. (Just as well, but that's another story.)

Pony!

13. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Here Lowe's has better prices on lumber and just about everything compared to Home Depot. We rarely go to Home Depot. Usually we call and get their price on something so we can compare it to Lowe's prices. Lowe's almost always wins our business.

As for trees... before we buy a tree we take it out of the bunch and set it in the clear aisle so we can get a good look at it from all angles. There were some species we'd like to have brought home yesterday, but the trees were not very good quality based on limb placement, etc. so we didn't waste our money on them.

However, when they mark stuff down to 25 cents I'll buy it if it's half dead. I can almost always revive it!

14. skruzich

LOL thats where i get alot of my nursery stock to propagate from. I nurse back the abused markdowns from the big box stores. I am currently trying to nurse a leatherleaf vibernum stem that got broken off of one of their plants, got it from hd, off the ground and took it home and rooted it. That plant sells for 30-40 bucks for a 1 gallon container.
    I am hoping to get it large enough this year where i can take cuttings next year and root them.

15. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Geez, our local HD won't even mark down and sell the abused plants. They just ditch them, and won't let anyone rescue them. At least Wal-Mart and Lowe's mark stock down.

As an aside...Lowe's here will mark down less than perfect lumber, and sometimes it's a very minor imperfection. You can get it at least 50% off. Last week I got 40 pieces of lumber, including a couple of beams and lots of 2x4s and 2x6s up to 16' long, all for $50. You might want to check with yours.

16. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I went to Lowe's and looked at the 50% off trees(after seeing this thread). I didn't buy any....the ones at our Lowe's were pretty rough looking. Broken branches,crooked,and some were half dead looking. These must have been the worst of the worst! lol
    It's hard to pass up those prices,but the ones here just weren't worth it.