Lowered my electric bill from $305 to $188

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quiver0f10, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

We have been hanging every single load( 5-7 a DAY) plus shutting down all computers, ditched all our old fluroscent lights and got new ones, plus shutting lights off when not in use etc. In 3 months bill has gone from $305 to $188! I wanted to cry when I saw $188, I sure hope it stays that low!

2. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Just in time to get used to the new procedures, before winter sets in. Do you heat with wood? If not, save up your extras so this winter won't bite too hard.

3. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

wow, mine is 110 bucks for 2 months, without tryin to save. is that your bill for 2 months?

4. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

Nope, thats one month. It has been considtantly @ 300 since moving to Maine 2 years ago. We have been trying feverishly to lower it and finallyhave suceeded. We heat with oil and some wood and hpe to switch to all wood next year. I dread oil this winter but thankfully can use dome wood to offset it.

I plan to continue hanging clothes all winter even if I install lines across my living room LOL :)

5. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

YAHOO!!! I know ours is down from last year.... I am glad to see $400 rather than $619 (same time last year!!)

We have been diligent as well in lowering ours by hanging clothes, turning off computers and not leaving lights on.... really helps!!

I am so happy for you!! Keep up the good work!!

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Wow you folks must really like where you live to be willing to pay 400-600 or even 200 for power each month. Last time I had a house in town with all the goodies was in 1999 and I was paying 150 per month for combined gas and elect averaged out through the year. I had no idea it had gotten so bad!

7. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

That is so awesome. It feels so good when you work really hard and then it pays off (literally). I've been doing the same thing with electric and propane and my electric bill went from $165 to $133 and I know that does seem like much but for the August bill (should have been about the highest) I think that's pretty good. The propane was scheduled to run out August 1st and I'm still at 20%. I've been at 20% for 4 weeks now. Hanging every load on the clothes line and when I cook I cook a bunch all at one time so I don't have to cook every night. The electric bill for next month should be even better because this will be a full billing cycle with keeping the AC at 93-95 degrees or totally off. If it's heat index of over 100 outside I'll keep it on 93-95 depending on how hot it is, otherwise it's off with the windows up and the fans on.

I stayed the night in town last night at a friends to save on gas (1-2ce a week I drive from work to a friends house and stay over and it helps with gas) and came home tonight. When I'm gone, I always leave the AC on 95 for the kitty cats since I'm not here to monitor the heat. Well I came in and it blazing hot in here, all the windows up and the AC blowing hot air. Dang it! All the animals can use the doggie door but I have one cat that's terrified of outside and would rather die than go out there. So it's getting a little better now, all windows open and all fans a blowing. It's still pretty hot, but the heat will get out of here soon enough. I can't wait to see my electric bill next month after all these sacrifices and hope it goes down as dramatically as yours!

8. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but you guys make me feel much better. I was upset that our electric went to $120 last month. We have been using the AC more, so it will probalby go even higher this month, but no where near 300 - 600. The only things we have that are propane are the water heater and the furnace which seldom gets used since we heat with wood.

9. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    Ours sits at 200 as well with NO A/C. My husband is a network engineer so he runs his computers (4 of them) at all times. I kinda been after him thinking that must be the reason for the high bills. Now I will be on him a little more :)

10. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Three years ago we redid how we heat the house and brought ours down from $185 year round to $100-115 year round. I thought we had done well! You did REALLY well to lower it that much!

Cheryl

11. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

Naw... itsn't that we LIKE where we live... its where we are AT at the moment!!! It isn't ALWAYS that high.... (Summer kills us here in TX - no A/C isn't an option) but we have balanced billing so that helps.... But I can't wait to get that "electric" monster off my back!!!!

Not to mention we have RELIANT ENERGY!! They are horrible..... won't even go into that.... highest rates and two rate increases THIS YEAR ALONE!!! Man, I can't wait to til we move!!!

12. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

I think electricity is very high here in Maine my bill last month was $141 with just two people. I know it was because of the air conditioner. I have a switch in the kitchen that turns the hot water off and when we remember to use that it does cut down on the bill. I am concerned about this winter and we plan to use wood more often and cut down on the oil bill. We get a discount because we are seniors and another if we pay withen 30 days, which we do. But last year the bills were getting higher and I dread to think what it will be this winter.

RenieB

13. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

paying the electric bill just sucks
    Ours was $163 last month and $189 this month...
    I had a fit...
    I have not been using my dryer at all...
    We do have ac, we have central ac in the main house and 1 window unit in the added space. We also run 2 hotwater heaters, 2 freezers, 2 refrigerators, 3 computers, the well and such so i guess we are actually doing well for all of that. I guess we will just have to suffer or get rid of the ac and really suffer, lol.

Belinda

14. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

My bill on budget billing runs $135 a month right now but any time we get out of balance with the credit/debit then they change it either higher or lower. I have stopped using the dishwasher but I don't know if I want to go as far as giving up the dryer for the laundry. I try desperately to keep the lights turned off but hubby seems to have a phobia about dim lighting. We are going to put the wood stove back in for heating this winter which should cut our power bill substantially.

Sherry in Ga

15. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Mine house anverages $35 to $40 a month and we don't do anythging special to conserve. The homestead is off grid

16. hatwoman22

hatwoman22 Well-Known Member

Oh good gosh, congrats!
    And I thought we where the worst state for electric! Ours has in has in the past gotten that high as well, usually we top out at 250, though we've had some months of 90 dollar bills, those are the months we celebrate.

We dont use gas, the electric is awful we think its the fridge that pulls the most as well as the old stove, we dont have ac, and the heater in winter is awful too. We're getting ready to bite the bullet and buy a new fridge. Thanks to the addition of an awsome toaster/oven/cooker thing we dont use the oven any more just the stove. Doesnt heat the house up either. The fridge on the other hand , thats a different story. That fridge puts out as much heat as the furnace!

Water here is terrible as well, water and sewer run 80$ for three people, one bathroom. Everything in the other bathroom is shut down, though it doesnt seem to make a difference. We've had price hikes in the past year for both electric, and water. And there talkin another for electric, they also brag that they are the lowest in the state! I tell em on a regular basis that they are fulll of it!

17. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Contrary to many, I find that my power bill is one of my best bargains. I keep my AC filter clean, the thermostat on the AC is set to where it is comfortable but not suitable to hang meat, I do not have a water logged well pump, my faucets are not dripping, my water heater is not full of sludge and it is insulated, the doors and windows seal, I do not have several old inefficient refrigerators running, I shut the computer down when it is not going to be used for several hours, lights burn only in occupied rooms, insulation has been added, the washing machine does a decent job of removing excess water and the dryer filter is clean and it is vented outside and the dryer is used for good sized loads only. Heat is also from electricity. I have a large farm shop also that gets power from the same meter. Our just arrived bill is $115.51 for 29 days. I do get a good rate from the utility company at around 7 1/2 cents per kw and my water heater is set to heat during off peak periods for which I get a discount. I realize that no one has any control of the price per KW if they are on the grid but being aware of what is consuming power, and how much, can by applying effort and reasoning will decrease the costs of operation. Everyone that is conscientious about saving money on their power consumption needs to learn how to read the utility meter. In so doing, there are no surprises when the bill arrives.

18. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Agree with Agman.Electric for us 2 is 50-60/month.Its something we can control.Got an efficient little freezer,10 year old refer.All CF bulbs made a BIG difference.Rarely use AC as 85 here is really hot,ceiling fan works wonders.Washer,gas dryer.Dishwasher.

Water is,get this,2 houses,one empty,is 75/month,thats the minimum.Sewer 25/month x2,only one used.And NG,nothing I can do short of house renovation,big 200+ minimum in winter.

So yes,electric is my bargain for what we get

BooBoo

19. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your savings. Way to Go :D

Power Bill this month $179.52 Hope it's lighter next month. Summer time heat kills our electric bill. But we equal out as we like colder weather (50-65). Unless it drops below 50 I leave the heat off. :)

Kenneth in NC

20. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

You do 5-7 loads of wash A DAY?!! :eek:

Since my husband moved out and there is nobody leaving on lights, etc and I've been hanging out the wash and been frugalizing at will (without being sabotaged...), my electric bill is down from the previous usage during this same period. Last bill was about $52 for two months. In the winter when the radiant slab is on and I use the dryer, it will go up to double or triple that.

How can you people stand bills of hundreds and hundreds? Yikes!