Lower Mainland, B.C. - Our goat needs a friend!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Hawkfamily, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Hawkfamily

Hawkfamily Well-Known Member

We had two pet goats and recently had one pass away. Our one remaining goat is very lonely and we are looking to get more - at least one more and eventually/possibly more than that.
    Can anyone direct us to a goat owner in our area - we live in Aldergrove, BC, Canada - who may be interested in selling us a goat??

We appreciate all responses! Thanks
    jodi and ben

2. CathyJK

CathyJK Well-Known Member

HI. I don't know any breeders out your way (I'm outside Calgary, Alberta) but I think there is a Dairy Goat show your way this weekend--would be tons of contacts!

Cath

3. Hawkfamily

Hi! Thanks for the response - lots of people looking at the post, but nobody was writing back. Perhaps I should mention that the autopsy reports that have just come back from our deceased goat showed a genetic heart defect and that our remaining goat is young and healthy and very playful....and lonely. She is out there crying as we speak...poor thing.

How do I find out about the dairy goat's show here this weekend? Does anybody out there have any info on this??
    I will do some digging on the internet and see if I can find anything, but please do reply if you can direct me.
    Thanks!
    jodi

4. Night Owl

Night Owl Active Member

Hope you've been able to find a goat friend. It is sad to see them alone. I don't know what kind of goat you are looking for. I am in California, so a bit to far away. (sorry)
    I've found a few different ways to find goats.
    See if you can find the 4-H ( or Canadian equivalent). The goat leader usually knows where to find goats in your area. Our 4-H doesn't start until Sept. and then every kid starts looking for goats, even though spring is the better time to get them.
    Check the breed organization for the breed you want, usually they will have a list of breeders. Breeders may not be the best place to find a companion goat but they are usually helpful and can send you in the right direction.
    Drive around your farming area. See if anyone has goats. May goat friends in your area. It is always good to know others who may have more experience or contacts or whatever. If you can't find any by looking around, ask the large animal vet to make an introduction for you. The vet should know who keeps a healthy herd.
    Best of luck to you.

5. Night Owl

Night Owl Active Member

Hope you've been able to find a goat friend. It is sad to see them alone. I don't know what kind of goat you are looking for. I am in California, so a bit to far away. (sorry)
    I've found a few different ways to find goats.
    See if you can find the 4-H ( or Canadian equivalent). The goat leader usually knows where to find goats in your area. Our 4-H doesn't start until Sept. and then every kid starts looking for goats, even though spring is the better time to get them.
    Check the breed organization for the breed you want, usually they will have a list of breeders. Breeders may not be the best place to find a companion goat but they are usually helpful and can send you in the right direction.
    Drive around your farming area. See if anyone has goats. May goat friends in your area. It is always good to know others who may have more experience or contacts or whatever. If you can't find any by looking around, ask the large animal vet to make an introduction for you. The vet should know who keeps a healthy herd.
    Best of luck to you.

6. Hawkfamily

Thanks for the tips - we will do just that! The kids next door belong to 4-H, so we will check that route. Also, there are a few people around that have larger herds of goats and we will introduce ourselves there.
    In the meantime, I take our lone goat out a couple of times a day for a good walk with our two dogs and let her hang out with us. She gets soo playful, wants to jump around with the dogs so badly. Very cute.
    jodi