Low temps tonight

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Irish Pixie, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Anti-bullying

It's supposed to get in the mid 40's tonight and I have a ton of green tomatoes (22 absolutely loaded plants). Should I cover them? I know that it won't freeze but tomatoes can be wimpy things. Also, I have very, very nice water and musk melons for the first time ever should I cover them?

Since I've been using composted chicken manure I've had the nicest gardens! That stuff is wonderful fertilizer, I don't even use the composted horse manure much anymore.

Thanks for your help.

Stacy in NY (zone 4/5)

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

We had our tomatoes in the ground already at the end of May and got an unexpected light frost (last date is SUPPOSED to be 4/28!!)
    The tomatoes did fine. I doubt the 40's will hurt them at all. Of course if you have them cages, tossing an old sheet over them won't hurt them either.

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Strange summer!! We have had some low forties nights each month so far, and are suppose to have them tonight again. My tomatoes have been fine......just VERY slow to mature this year. Same with the melons.

4. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Anti-bullying

Thanks for your help. The tomato and melon plants survived just fine. It didn't get as low as predicted, it was 47 degrees when I got up this morning.

Still nice and cool now...

Stacy in NY