Low Temp - bad thermometer or sick calf???

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by needstoknowmore, Nov 4, 2006.

1. needstoknowmore

needstoknowmore Rattlin Rock Ranch

I have a digital thermometer. I didn't save the box and the intructions sheet doesn't give the brand name just model DT-01. I did buy it at a feed store when I couldn't find a regular one. The directions say to minus one degree F when used in the rectum. I used it earlier this year and it seemed to work fine. Ellie Moo just seemed a little blah. She didn't come to me when I went in the pen, she was just standing there. And when I went to her she didn't start licking me. So I came in the got the thermometer. Her temp is 98.9. For comparison I took Lizzy's temp, 100.6. That's with deducting the 1* per instructions. I went ahead and measured her to get her weight, and before I was done she did start licking me as normal. She weighs in at 383lbs. With a hay belly. She is eating and drinking. Is not dehydrated. She gets grass hay and calf grower. Our weather has been another thing, we went from 40-50 daytime, 20-30's at night to single digit-teens at night with day time in the 30's and high winds durring this. Lizzy had a dry cough for a couple days durring the wind but it went away. We are now back to normal, freezing at night, days in the 40's, and calmer winds. The snow is gone, but there is rain or snow in the forecast. Their poop is not runny, if anything it might be a little on the thick side.
    How worried should I be about this temp thing? I will start looking for a regular themometer again. I did have one but the temp went way up and I could not get it down. I even left it in the fridge, and shaking it down didn't work. I do like the digitals, but I always wonder if they are accurite.

Ellie is a black angus, Lizzy is an angus cross. Ellie is 8 months, Lizzy is 6 months.

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Is the inside of her mouth warm to the touch? If so I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on her.

3. needstoknowmore

4. needstoknowmore

The inside of her mouth is warm to the touch! So is Lizzy's, 2 girls 2 hands, checked them both. They feel pretty close to the same. I will keep on eye on her and look for a new themometer. Any recomendations? Or what to stay away from?

5. tinknal

Well, the most urgent problems are usually respiritory in nature. Is she breathing normally? (put your ear to her chest, compare with your other calf). Does she have a snotty nose? When she lays down, does she lay on her chest or side? Is she chewing her cud? Is she shivering or standing hunchbacked? Are her eyes bright and interested? Does she look bloated? Any blood in the poop?

6. needstoknowmore

She seems more normal this morning. She is chewing her cud and eating. I haven't seen her laying down. Her breathing seems normal. She doesn't have a snotty nose. Lizzy does have some snot in her nose, it is white/creamish in color. Her breathing also seems normal. She has been chewing her cud and was laying down on her side. It rained last night and the froze this morning, both girls where dry except for their heads. Neither girl looks bloated.

I tested the thermometer this morning, It has either gone whacko or the battery is going dead!!

7. tinknal

I hate them digital thermometers..........I just don't trust them.

8. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

Errr... Do you think your calf may be sick because the thermometer doesn't work or is your calf showing symptoms of ill thrift?

Opppss no offence intended.

9. needstoknowmore

No offence taken.
    The calf just seemed a little off. So I took her temp. Then I really wondered what was going on. She is her normal self today. They have been head butting and running around. And she moo'ed her head off when I wasn't fast enough with her feed!!! Our weather has been so wierd, snow last Thursday, 67* today. I watch all my animals, but I worry about this calf the most. And with weather like this I am keeping a close eye on everybody.