Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the right forum to check , but I thought I'd try. I want to get video of some of the wildlife on my farm and since animals are most active at dawn and dusk , it would help to have a camcorder that can record in very low light conditions. The mimimun amount of lumens the better. Any help here? Thanks

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Check out the game cameras over at Gander Mountain or Bass Pro... I bought two for my uncle, they'll shoot stills or videos, day or night. (600$)He got them to catch a thief. Couldn't wait for me to assist him in placing them. One was stole the very first night out... :Bawling: .

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
The other thing you might try (other than a video camera) is one of the low light security cameras that hooks up to a computer. You can record on your PC from the camera. We bought a small camera a year ago to send down into a cave opening to see what was there. bought it at Sam's club for under $80.00 (i'm cheap).

someof the cameras can be remotely moved, etc. those are more high end, tho.

just an idea :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Something like a sony with night shot sounds like what you want. The range with just the night shot in only maybe 10 to 15 feet in pitch black. But they sell a add on thing for it that will take that range out to 100 feet plus. The add on when we got ours was a extra $99 it is sort of like one of the laser pointer things that mounts on camcorder.

·
Waterfowl hobbyist
304 Posts
This past spring I purchased two very small IR cameras and installed them in two different Wood duck nest boxes. One had 6 LED lights the other had 30 LED lights. Both worked great and were under $50. The 30 LED camera could be used as wireless or hard wired. I had the camera running through my barn and into the garage hooked into a monitor that ran 24/7. I was able to view the whole process of the Wood hen hatching her little ones.

I have also seen some still photos taken by the trail cams that Texican was talking about and many looked good.

The nest camera photos I took:
http://www.giffsfarm.com/nestbox2.html

The cameras I used:
http://www.giffsfarm.com/nestboxphotoblog.html

Another good site that has a live deer cam running can be found here:
RDHC deer cam

If I remember, his equipment cost a bundle but his site has alot of good info on the trail cams.

giffy

-----------------------
GiffsFarm

·
Registered
950 Posts
i second the sony cameras.
i have a sony with nightshot 0 lumens and it has super nightshot that sends out the infared a little further. Its pretty good and can see a good ways even on the darkest night.
I can easily use it to walk around the woods at night here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.