Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Just happy to be here!
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In reviewing the seeds I have from last year, I thought I would pass along a recommendation.

I found a low-heat jalapeno that is good for mild salsa and for anyone who doesn't like their peppers too hot.

"False Alarm" jalapeno is sold by Burpee's. It is a hybrid. I had tremendous success with it last year (translation: I have several large bags of jalapenos in my freezer). I grew them in an Earthbox on my patio.

· Registered
10,454 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation.

Totally Tomatoes and Peppers used to have a Scoville heat rating in the description of each pepper they sold. I haven't had their catalog for years so don't know if the rating is still offered or not.

Those not familiar with the Scoville rating system may get a idea of it here: http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp

· Black Cat Farm
1,017 Posts
We bought some of those 'Fooled You' jalapenos at a farm stand a couple years ago, and then accidentally mixed them in with regular jalapenos, but didn't realize it until it was too late. We made jalapeno poppers with them, and ended up playing "Jalapeno Popper Roulette!"

The Fooled You are good though - jalapeno flavor without the burn!

· Retired farmer-rancher
2,989 Posts
We've raised the mild ones for years, one variety called Senorita jalapeno. Great for mild salsa and for the jalapeno flavor in cooking but no burn. Also fun to fool a friend, eat a mild one out of a bowl of regulars, see if your friend is "chicken" to try the same. LOL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.