Low growing perennial clover??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Wildfire_Jewel, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

The white clover that is sold in the garden catalogs....Is that a perennial? Can it be mowed? And what is it's top height? I want to replace our grass with something that can be used for feed for our rabbits. It also needs to be very low growing so we don't need to mow it often and the neighbor woman won't complain about it's length. I would use one of the pasture grasses but then it will end up looking like a hayfield and she has a problem with that and will complain to the township. Thanks all!!
    Melissa

2. Gunga

Gunga Well-Known Member

I reseeded my lawn with clover instead of fescue last year. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. The clover gows about the same height as fescue you just have to mow it when it gets the white flowers if you want to keep the suburban lawn look. The lawn still looks green and nice, so I don't get mean looks from the neigbors. The clover will build up the nitrogen content of the soil instead of stripping it of nutrients like most suburban lawns. If I need the area to grow vegetables in a couple of years it will be more fertile.

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

I think the neighbor lady needs to mind her own business. What is the thing about HER PLACE that YOU don't like?

Humpph!

My Prayer: "God, Save me from 'do-gooders'."

just my 2 centavos worth,
    Bruce

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Perrennial, shouldn't get much taller than grass. Don't walk through it barefoot when it's blooming:)

5. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Check what they say the height is for the sort you buy. I transplanted some from a thick stand I have to new lawn area, and also have some dutch white clover (from SESE) growing up (I mean 6 leaf stage) where I sowed it with the grass seed. Wish I'd sown a lot more of it! Have mroe seed to plant but might be too hot now here.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I just finished hand seeding 7 acres of a pasture with mixed grasses and clovers that was just burned over to bring the weeds down and prepare for the no. 1 white clover seed. The plan is to keep the field cut to about 4 inches and let as much clover fill in and compete also with any taller growing weeds. Depending on moisture, we'll see how that works out. I got seed that is more drought tolerant from australia that comes into my local feed store. It's also going to be used mixed with some trefoil in another field to use for a good part of the green feed for turkeys and chickens, and it will also be great for attracting honeybees. That will help also in polinating the garden plants and fruit trees/bushes.