Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to supplement my pig's food with stuff that won't put any weight on him. If I can give him stuff to nibble on then he'll stop eating stuff in the yard that puts weight on him. He loves cucumbers and watermelon, but hates celery. Can you think of anything else?

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
caberjim said:
Ours have always gone nuts over apples.
yeah he loves apples and bananas but i was worried about the calories. He has a weight problem from the last yard when he binged on acorns and pecans. I'm trying to get the weight off of him and am even soaking his food in water just to fill him up more.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Uh, why would you NOT want to put weight on your pig??? Isn't that the whole idea; to fatten him up for eating??? I am missing your point.

Is this one of those threads meant to pull people's legs??? I think so.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I feed our pet pigs small whole squash as a snack. You could also feed him plain popped popcorn, if you feel like making some. Grapes are another good low-cal snack. Just don't feed him anything bread related. I know how hard it is to trim down a fat PBP. We have about 20 acorn producing oak trees on our place and year before last we had a bumper crop that the PBP's gorged themselves on.

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes he's a pet and a pot bellied pig. he "pigged out" on acorns and pecans and he's just too fat. He's trimmed down some but we've hit a plateau. I didn't think about squash, great idea!!! we've moved and I hope he can trim down now.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
They gain weight SO easily and it takes what seems like forever to get the weight off. Keep at it. One day the pig will look thinner "all-of-a-sudden".

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
farmergirl said:
They gain weight SO easily and it takes what seems like forever to get the weight off. Keep at it. One day the pig will look thinner "all-of-a-sudden".
thanks, I'm being very persistent and he gets a measured amount of food a day. but he still "screams' because he's hungry. In Texas I could just give him 2 trays of ice cubes and 1/4 of a watermelon. he'd munch on that a while and was happy. I can't do that here. I do need to try to find him some watermelon though. He did have one of those all-of-a-sudden weight loss but he's just not loosing anymore. I was so excited that I could see more of a "waist" up around his back and his eyes stood out more. then it stopped.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
One of the PBP's we adopted a couple years ago was so fat when we got him that he couldn't even lift his head up to look at us. There was just a solid strap of fat over his neck where there needed to be a crease! I can't tell you how happy DH and I were when he finally lost weight and lifted his head up, stuck out his underbite jaw and looked us in the eyes!! We found that the weight around the waist is the first to drop off. It's the weight around the neck and shoulders that seems NEARLY impossible to shed. Eventually that drops off too :)

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
No it isn't RockyGlen. I met quntmphyscs' pet pig.

I was also thinking green beans and carrots. Pretty much any diet food that people would eat. I know greenbeans are good for dogs because it makes them feel full, but is low in calories.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
RockyGlen said:
This thread title made me laugh.
Me too. We spend big bucks trying to get our feeder pigs to market weight in 5 months and QP wants to knock 50 lbs off her pig! LOL

Hey QP - how ya liking New York? You might want to rethink tryin' to slim down your piggy - he might need that extra fat in 4-5 months

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,825 Posts
Take him for a walk every day. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts