Low cost tools.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by alleyyooper, Sep 6, 2017.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Back when I was laid off and going to college I bought some low cost tools to get a job done that I had to do. they are 1981 SK Husky tools.

Today I am in my tool box looking for a wrench and those low cost tools are starting to rust.
    So should I sand them and paint or jiust let them go. I think a coat of POR15 would stop the rust and hold up too.

:D. Al

hunter63 likes this.
  2. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Seem Husky Tools have a lifetime warranty ...for breakage....maybe not rust?

Home Depot seems to be the place to ask.....
    Personally I would bother just clean tham and treat them and call it good.

I have a lot of Craftsman tools and have had many replaced over the years.
    Not sure these days...Our Sears store is closing?

Declan likes this.

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

SK husky isn't the same husky tools as HD carries. SK was at one time a well honored tool company. Were falling on hard times by the 1980's.

:D. al

flewism likes this.
  4. IndyDave

IndyDave Well-Known Member

You have a 36 year old set of tools starting to show their age. My advice is to take a coarse cloth with WD40/PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench/Kroil applied and give them a good scrubbing with that, then accept the patina with which you are left. I would consider painting them a bad idea as it will not hold up to use and look really tacky while providing no useful improvement.

In The Woods and dsmythe like this.
  5. hunter63

One of the Snap-On Tool factories is in our city.

They built a road through the area.... past the plant.....
    A friend lived 1/2 a block for the construction site.
    He sent his boys over and were picking up buried tools...from the dirt piles ....I mean like 6 cardboard boxes full.

As he was in or sportscar club at the time....he brought the to a meeting....and we all picked thru them.

I still have quite a few ...they were double stamped, ot coating peeling...and some was just rusty with no coating on them....I still carry the 15/16 open end/ box end in the tractor tool box... as it fits all the bolts and nuts on the brush hog.

My point...A little rust will not hurt performance.....It just drives you crazy looking at it.

dsmythe likes this.
  6. Amello

Amello Member

Rust never sleeps as one singer said and it's true. It probably wouldn't hurt to have an inexpensive sand blaster on hand to get rid of rust then routine maintenance with an oily cloth to make the rust take a nice long nap..

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

If you'd use them more, they wouldn't rust. My tools, many of which I've had since I was 16 (almost 50 years ago), are so coated with grease and oil that rust has never occurred.

8. hunter63

Might help.....Many people would think the same.
    BUT
    I wouldn't do it....
    Sandblasting is abrasive,.....allowing pitting along with the cleaning process....would just rust faster next time.
    Most people don't have a inexpensive sandblaster laying around....
    I do happen to have one, and it wasn't inexpensive nor was the compressor needed to make it work.

Back when, as a young man...I aquired a pair of chromed reversed wheels for my Chevy.

Got them cheap as they were rusty.....so would clean the off with steel wool (Brillo Pads)...then tried waxing, oiling and coating with clear lacquer .........then just rusted faster.

9. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

Mercron Dextron ATF is the best thing for most tools

it has very good anti corrosion properties , good lubricity , and detergent qualities and occasional wipe down with ATF will keep most things from rusting or slow/ stop the progression.

hunter63 likes this.
  10. sammyd

sammyd Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd ever sandblast a tool. If I had something with some rust, I'd maybe hit it with a steel wool pad then wipe with a rag with wd40 or something on it.
    Regular use keeps em clean....

hunter63 likes this.