low carb Macadamia nut bread

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by HermitJohn, Feb 17, 2020.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

https://www.flavcity.com/low-carb-breakfast-muffins/

[​IMG]

Well this is muffin version but they have "bread" loaf version with same basic three ingredients. It looks amazing. But seriously, Macadamia nuts or even Macadamia nut flour is $$$. Same with that coconut butter. And yea I never heard of coconut butter, but I followed link in recipe and Amazon does sell it. Author claims one cant substitute for the Macadamia nuts or the coconut butter and come anywhere close.

Anybody seen a low carb muffin or bread like this only cheaper ingredients? Yea I know lot of keto breads out there but usually require mere dozen eggs or such.

2. IlliniosGal

IlliniosGal Well-Known Member

3. susieneddy

susieneddy Well-Known Member

4. HermitJohn

Really more interested in people's real life experiences. There are infinite recipe websites. But unless one wants to try bunch of them, its still luck of the draw. I found some "low carb" biscuits, but my gosh those things are more like shortbread.

5. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

susieneddy likes this.
  6. susieneddy

susieneddy Well-Known Member

We have used the site I linked to above for quite a few recipes. We made a low card meatloaf using almond flour. It was really moist.

7. HermitJohn

Did you find any keto bread recipe that actually resembled wheat/grain based breads? I think I could probably make muffins with sunflower seed meal that actually resembled a muffin. But more cake like than bread like. I have made my hotcakes using only sunflower and it does puff up more, but also really crumbly.

8. HermitJohn

9. Solar Geek

Solar Geek Well-Known Member

I thought it looked good so read a ton of his responses to comments.
    You cannot substitute for the cup of macadamia nuts due to the paste/batter consistency they will provide BUT you can substitute for the coconut butter-- he says "you can use runny almond butter instead. Regular cow’s milk butter will not work."

Uniformly the commenters loved this recipe. They must be rich.

10. HermitJohn

Well my order for flax seed and sunflower seed was cancelled when I inquired about shipping date after 3 week waiting. No explanation just refund. Okie dokie. Fine, not waiting six month until they get backorder or whatever. Honeyville has both but only in 50 pound bag. Maybe if you have lot freezer space or that mythical "cool dry storage" (cave in desert???)

Saw 25 pound chia seed for little over $2 a pound on Amazon. I have some chia seed (oily seed like flax) I bought some time ago, so what heck tried coffee grinder full plus some olive oil and three eggs, mixed, cooked in skillet. Chia seed hotcakes. Ok, I was shocked, these are seriously good. Even if I wasnt diabetic, I would happily eat them over just about any other kind bread. No idea how they do with xanthan gum instead of eggs, but I ordered the 25 pounds of chia. No doubt price probably skyrocket soon, as most chia seed is LOT more expensive. I might go as high as $3 a pound, but higher, likely to go back to flax above that.

11. HermitJohn