low buck labido

Discussion in 'Goats' started by billygoatridge, Aug 28, 2006.

1. billygoatridge

billygoatridge Well-Known Member

I bought a young buckling born in march that seems to have no inclination what he is for. We usually have to sell our bucks by 10-12 weeks old because they are trying to breed everything, including the cats if they stand still long enough lol. Would the fact he was bottle fed set him back in maturity. I know I'VE had does in heat in with him. They are screaming their heads off for the buck in another lot. Has anyone else had a late maturing buck or did I buy a dud? Is there anything you can give them to increase their drive to breed? I know the lady who bought his twin brother and he is working at getting her does bred. Mine doesn't even attempt to smell the does.

2. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

He's not in rut yet. Give him a few months, and even then, at his age, you will probably have to limit him and allow him to hand breed only, once or twice per doe, and only one or two does a day.

Bucks vary in libido. Some young bucks mount anything that stands still, other are more restrained. You might also want to give him some Bo-Se, get him wormed, feed him up well before breedign season, but you don't want him fat. Don't know abotu you, but here in Idaho (which is northerly and gets colder faster) my does aren't in heat yet, and my buck is just starting to smell, hasn't started spraying yet (and he's a mature, proven buck).

One thing that does really affect libido, by the way, is serious inbreeding.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I had a buck like this last year. The doe was in heat, majorly, and he tried once or twice, with no real effort... So I put the doe in with my other buck. This year, however, he is definetely ready to service some does, lol. He was around 10 months old when I tried last year, and when he breeds this year (january/Feb/ March is my breeding season) he'll be about 20 months.

4. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Wow. My Nigerian bucklings, who will be 3 weeks old on Thursday, are already lusting after Tina - who will be 1 week old on Thursday. :rolleyes: They'll be getting banded in a couple of weeks. :p

5. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

Try to feed your buck some extra copper. i just read a thread where someone was having copper deficiency and fed their goat raisins and everything straightened out pretty quick. Or go with copper boluses.

I don't know if it will help with libido, but it will definitely help with fertility, and I think that they are connected.

Also, don't have him in with other bucks, as they may be abusing him, and that WILL interfere with both libido and fertility, sometimes permanently.

Camille

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Caprine Supply - Buck Power. I love that stuff!

Ruth