Loud goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by PrepNut, Aug 12, 2005.

1. PrepNut

PrepNut Member

Happy Friday!

We just brought a couple of wethers home to eat brush and just hang around the pasture. They are around 4-5 months old, one is an Oberhasli and the other a La Mancha.

Well...all they do is yell and if they see our neighors (who aren't thrilled with goats next door) they plaster themsleves to the fence on that side and yell even more. Will they ever stop?? I had kind of counted on the idea that having 2 would prevent some unhappiness, but so far no good.

They came from a goat rescue, and if they don't quiet down fast, they are going right back, even with a 6 hour round trip in my car to get them there.

Any ideas?

2. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

When I first bought my goats for the first 2 weeks they screemed their heads off :mad: It just takes a little while for them to get adjusted to their new surroundings :goodjob:

3. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

this is another use for duct tape! ok, just kidding!

here is my take on what you have written;

each time the goats see the neighbor they yell...
    .... they are looking for food.

They do not like what you have set out before them to eat.. brush.. but if given enough time they will get real hungry and eat what is out there.

A quick stop the the noise... go get some whole corn (wal-mart carries whole corn in the pet section..or at least mine does) from the feed store. Find a place to put the bag and a container that holds about a pounds (coffee can) worth. Go out and pour a wee bit into a pile way away from neighbors fence. Then as if you were feeding chickens..scatter the rest around. You could use alfalfa in the same way... feed them 1 flake a day until they have learned to browse. There are lots of things you can use, Black Oiled Sunflower Seeds (wal-mart sells them the cheapest I have seen), peanuts in shell, COB also called 3-way (without molassas), just which ever is easiest for you to get and get home. (you mentioned a car..break alfalfa up and put in trash bags to carry home)

Wean them away from the fence and neighbor and toward you. They got used to seeing people and associate people with food. They do not understand that food is no longer brought to them. It takes about a week for them to settle in.

And last but not least... don't feed them anything and explain to your neighbor they are missing home and are used to seeing people and thinking they are going to get fed. Tell her to give it about a week and they should settle in.

Just make sure they have access to fresh water.

brendafawn likes this.
  4. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

I always kind of liked that greeting when I got home. Made me feel like someone was thrilled to see me besides the dogs. But, they did stop after a couple weeks. Now I have to go over to see if thay are still alive because if it is hot they don;t come out of the shady barn.

Dog is still excited, tho.

5. PrepNut

PrepNut Member

Well,

they're on pasture, with a little brush, plus we cut some for them to eat. They have a little hay too, fresh water, minerals. So it's not like they don't have a lot to choose from. I'm sure they just miss their herd and aren't sure about being in a new place, but I really had no idea they would be this clingy. Hopefully they'll figure it out and settle in.

6. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy prepnut.....I have 9 goats at this time and will tell ya they get use to a certain feeding time...if hubby or i am 5 minutes past 6 o clock[in summer] am or 6 o clock pm they start to scream!......maybe your goats are on a feed schedule from the rescue center that you dont know about?....my goats will scream untill they get the feed and hay no matter how much they already have in the bowl or hay is left they want the new stuff!....we also found our goats will hollar when something is wrong...a dog out in the woods, when the hens are being loud laying eggs the goats will also hollar....we have cut this back some by giving them things to climb on and destroy lol.....try ole tires and pallets ya can get free from walmart and make a climbing gym for them but please make sure to use some kind of strong fabric such as canvas to cover the pallets with so hooves and legs dont get caught between the boards and cause harm.....also a tire swing...a big beach ball....even a see saw...we had one but they ate it lol......can also throw applewood branches and yard waste into the pasture for them.......good luck...dale anne

7. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

I think it's a combination of being lost away from the others they were with, and them getting used to finding the food you have for them. I'm sure what you're feeding them isn't 100% exactly what they were getting where they were. I'll go along with them settling down after a week or so. I used my goats to eat brush too. They turned an old overgrown pasture into nice grass in a little over a year. I have to give my opinion though, I don't think letting them survive on the brush alone is what's best for them. I would feed them something, and let them feed on the brush to keep them from getting bored. Not saying you should give a bale of hay a day, just give them a flake or two per day, and with mine, I also gave them a soup can of grain each per day. Goats will learn to graze in time, but as Vicki told me when I got mine, they don't like to graze if they are used to getting hay and grain provided for them. If you leave them there, and don't care about the noise, then yes, they will eat rather than starve, but if you want to keep them reasonably quiet, then I think you're going to have to part with a little hay and grain to get them started in the new place.

8. PrepNut

PrepNut Member

I think I'll work on getting them used to a regular schedule, getting a little hay at certain times, maybe distract them with grain on the far side from the neighbors, and some brush for variety. They are on an old pasture now, with some fescue and timothy, a little clover and the usual old pasture weeds. I built them a couple of big wooden 'tables' to climb on too. I'll add a few more toys for them this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice. It's one thing to read about critters, a whole n'other thing to have them hollering at you 24/7!

9. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

It took a week or two for mine to calm down. I spent a good bit of time with them, I think they were scared and maybe wanted attention too. :sing:

10. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

Mine yell when they see us too. They also yell if we are late for feeding times. A regular schedule is great help. Also they may just be looking for a good scratch from the neighbors. Mine don't want grain all day they want attention. Give them a little attention so they aren't looking for it from the neighbors. Don't give them too much attention though or they will be calling you everytime they see you. like mine do. Of course that's why I got mine.

11. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

We have a small sheep flock (Katahdin). My husband thought it would be a great idea to get a couple goats in with them to help eat the brush down. The first two I bought were Nubians that had been bottle-fed babies. The next two I purchased were a young Nubian and a Nubian/LaMancha cross. The first two NEVER wanted to stay with the sheep. If any human was remotely in their area they would SCREAM for attention. I thought they would bring every predator around within 2 miles! I sold them off to someone looking for pets... the other two were quiet and liked to stay with the sheep. Needless to say, we kept them around! If you purchased them from a rescue type place, then what you may be dealing with bottle-feds who are looking for "mommy!" Namely every human within sight! Good luck - keep us all posted!

12. PrepNut

PrepNut Member

So far they seem to settling down. They yell a little when they see us, then either go back to what they were doing, or go the the brush-feeding corner when we bring an armful over. I think they were also ****ed off that they couldn't get to the neighbor's nice green hegde. I talked to the neighbors and let them know it could be a little while before they quiet down, and everyone was cool with that.

So I guess we're getting there. Now we have to get more brushy area fenced so we don't have to carry it to them all the time :rolleyes:

--PrepNut

13. PrepNut

PrepNut Member

Smart goats!!!

Ours are getting ice water now. It's so much hotter and drier than where they were, I figure it can't hurt.