Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Buff duck that is about two months old. She is VERY loud. All the time. I can't ever get her to shut up. I'm afraid my neighbors will eventually tire of it and complain. I always have good and fresh water available for them. I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions? I hate to use her for food right now. I haven't even gotten any eggs and that's the reason I chose the buff bc I read they were excellent egg layers. But good grief! I don't know if I can handle the quacking.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
My ducks are my loudest birds and this is coming from someon who had guineas and who has lots of peacocks. My ducks are loud for no apparent reason. They just like hearing themselves quack.

There are quackless ducks. If you want the eggs without the noise I'd go that route.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
At two months old she is unlikely to lay until next spring, just a head's up there. As for noisy, does she have companions? I do have a couple of ducks that like to talk, but my neighbors actually quite enjoy them and I am in town. Perhaps before you worry too much, ask your neighbors if that is even a problem for them. Mine seem fond of my ducks and supported me in getting a zoning variance for them. Otherwise, rather than eating her, you could probably sell her on Craig's List. Buffs are a bit unusual and should sell easily.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm positive that I won't get any eggs till spring. She's very young. I just moved her from the 'baby room' to the adult coop. The 'baby room' is a chicken tractor with meat chickens. I thought moving her out into the open and with the three adult ducks she would quiet some, but not much luck. My neighbors are great and seem to like that I have chickens and ducks but this duck is just annoying.

She hasn't been with the adult ducks very long, maybe she will quiet down.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that is where mine is. Lol. Well it's a chicken coop/duck coop. They might have to get there own home away from my bedroom window/door.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The ducks were out to annoy me from the start. I had them in a plastic tote in my bathroom with a heat lamp til they were big enough to go outside. Bathroom was also connected to my bedroom. Kids were thrilled, especially when they got to take a bath with ducks. Me, not so much.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,857 Posts
If she was raised with chickens then she very likely thinks she is one or atleast misses them. She is probably calling her friends

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
We found a single, very thin duck and took her in....she is now doing fine.....I got her a female companion duck so she would not be alone....she is noisy....starts in when she sees me....but is quiet at night.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Was she quiet when with the chooks?

If that's the case, may as well let her live with the chickens if it keeps her quiet. If she still makes noise, may as well harvest her now, and get some 'scovies. Lots of eggs, lots of ducklings, and they make a quiet, pleasant sound.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well she was actually louder when she was in with the chickens. I had then all in a tractor but actually just let them all out.

It seems everyone is quieter when they are really free range. So now I have about 25 chickens and three ducks running loose in my back yard. But they are quieter and see much more content.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts