Lots to preserve

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Firethorn, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

Any one have a sourse for some GOOD dehydrators? I have only found one and I dont like not compairing before a purchase like this. Those little dinky ones wont cut it . We are looking to preserve a LOT.
    Any help would be so appreciated.
    Mrs C.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

http://www.jrwhipple.com/sr/

here is one you can make yourself for free. This one is made from cardboard, but I've seen plans for making them from wood and glass. If I find them I'll post them here for you.

3. rwood

rwood Well-Known Member

Ive seen these before, but always wondered, do these contraptions actually work? :confused:

and, how long does it take to dry, say 2 pounds of tomatoes?

Raphael

4. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

5. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

I bought a non-electric one from Lehman's for a Christmas present. Don't know if it is still on sale, but it was 1/2 price, $21. The bf used it to dry mushrooms and it worked great.

6. olehippy

olehippy Well-Known Member

I bought a nine tray Excaliber from Cabelas and have enjoyed using it. The only thing I regret is it did not come with the teflon sheets for making fruit/yogart leathers and other items. I tried using plastic wrap like was suggested in the instruction manuel but decided to order the teflon sheets. I ordered them from Lehmans and they are still on backorder. But they had them on sale so I'll wait.

I also have Mary Bell's two books Just Jerky and Complete Dehydrator Book. They both seem to be full of good info and recipes.

You can probably find the Excaliber cheaper than Cabelas but I had Christmas GC to spend.

olehippy

7. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

Yes, the ones at cabelas are the only ones I could find. I was woundering abuot mass production. We have a family of 11 and are only getting larger. I also wanted to make snacks (jerkey, leathers, trail mixes and such) to sell to try to off set some of the cost. I have a feeling that the non electric types would not suffice. I know there has to be a comercial source out there but I can not seem to find them. Or at least a nice BIG one. I may go with the one at cabelas if all else fails.
    Thanks, Mrs C.

8. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

When I want to dry a lot of wet material I just use a drying cabinet, or a herbarium specimen dryer. The physics is all the same whether you start off using a JOBOX as the cabinet, make your own from wood or sheet metal, or an old chest freezer, upright refrigerator, a closed or small room or whatever.

You need just two things beyond that: 1. fresh air entry and humidified air exit, and 2. a source of heat.

1. is easily accomplished with a small off-the-shelf $10.00 fan to extract warmed humidified air, 2. is easily accomplished with a small adjustable 750-1000 watt electric heater. The rest is just tinkering.

9. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I too have an Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator and i LOVE it. I ordered it directly from the company and they were wonderful...The thew in one of the teflon sheets for free...and told me of sales that were not advertised. That is why i ended up with the 9 tray insted of smaller...Their web page offers a free gift and free shipping right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The link is :
    http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/gen1.htm
    Good luck with your preserving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Belinda

10. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

We have an 8 tray HarvestMaid, and it works really well. I believe it came with 6 trays, a leather sheet, and a fine sheet for herbs, and we bought 2 other trays extra. It has an adjustable thermostat. It will dry 11 lbs. of paste tomatoes in 24 hours.

I got this at a small, local hardware store, and although they are more available in late summer and fall, sometimes they will have them at other times, too.

Check with your county sanitarian to see if you can sell home-processed dried fruits and veggies. Ours won't let me, 'cause cutting the food is "processing" it and I'd have to do it in a certified kitchen. *sigh*

11. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

Just make one. I find the ones to buy are too dinky for doing a crate of apples for instance or a deer's worth of jerky. build a box, fill full of shelves of screens, add a couple of lightbulbs and a fan and presto! yes they work.... quite well... in fact, mine worked better than any I'd ever bought.

babs

12. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

13. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

I love my Excalibur. My DH loves what comes out of it :D

Dried Roma tomato slices have taken the place of potato chips around here, and the dried fruit rolls are MANY times better than the store-bought ones... much more flavor and NO PRESERVATIVES.

Mine goes pretty much constantly during harvest season... I've actually been thinking of investing in a second one.

Tracy